Moving Emails

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by Indicium, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Indicium

Indicium New Member

Hello There,
    Is it possible to move emails ( accounts content ) from servers without using the migration tool?
    I want to do a clean install, do not want to transfer configuration and some other things.

Thanks in advanced.
    Indicium

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

yes.... get an imap client (eg thunderbird), setup account from server 1 and let everything download.... setup account from server 2..... re-create folder structure.

Once all emails are downloaded, you can mark them in TB, right-click and select "Copy To", then select new server and according folder.

Indicium likes this.
  3. Indicium

Indicium New Member

Thanks, any other way to do it without having to change users passwords ?

Thanks

4. sjau

5. Indicium

Indicium New Member

I mean, there are email accounts I don't have the password to, so I would have to change it and do the Thunderbird method ( right ? )

I will try the imapcopy method, thanks a lot.

Indicium

6. sjau

with imapcopy I think you also need user password.... do you have root access to old and new server?
    if so, you probably could just use rsync to copy everything over....

7. Indicium

Indicium New Member

Yes, I have root for both servers, will look for a guide to rsync, not sure what needs to be copied, I only need all email accounts to multiple domains, both servers set-up are practically identical.

8. sjau

if both servers use the same imap server (e.g. dovecot) and both use maildir.... then you can just copy the users mail folder over I think