Moving existing customer databases - rename issue

Discussion in 'General' started by catdude, Oct 15, 2007.

1. catdude

catdude ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I've got a configuration issue I'm not sure how to deal with.

I'm moving some customers from a Plesk server to an ISPConfig server. So far I'm not having issues moving e-mail customers, web content, DNS settings, etc - it requires a lot of diligence and housekeeping, but it's doable.

The issue I now have to deal with is moving user databases. Very few of my Plesk users have databases, but those that do of course have CGI scripts that refer to them. If I create a database for my customer whose WebID is WEB1370, for example, the database that gets created is "web1370_u1". If the customer's CGI scripts refer to the database as "site1Members", then the customer will have to modify all of their CGIs to refer to the new database name.

Aside from creating the database outside of ISPConfig, does anyone have any pointers as to how I might manage this?

2. torusturtle

torusturtle ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I guess either your customers or you are having to do this editing by hand.

If there are not many of them I would create them outside of ISPConfig so that customers don't have to bother with this moving system issue.
    Maybe it would be wise to create an easy tutorial how they can move there databases themselves later if they need to.

3. catdude

catdude ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

That's the way I'm leaning as well. I'm moving close to 400 domains (the fun ones are the ones with over a hundred e-mail users, since I haven't been able to get the Remoting Framework to work), but of those 400 or so fewer than a dozen have databases. It looks like it will be a lot simpler to create and manage those databases outside of ISPConfig than it would be to get the users to update their scripts.