Moving from ISPconfig 2 to ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by KenKnight, Apr 5, 2011.

1. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

Does anybody have any tips for moving a server from ISPconfig to ISPconfig 3.

I Understand there is no upgrade mechanism, so what I've done is create the ISPconfig 3 server and have started manually recreating all the users (since we only have one domain on this server).

So the big questions is what dir structures truly need to be pulled over.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The directory structure of ispconfig 2 and 3 is different, so you can not copy over complete directory structures like /var/www at once.

What you can do is:

a) copy over the content of the maildir folder to the new maildir folder in ispconfig 3. This has to be done for every mailbox.

b) copy over the content of the website.

c) copy over the mysql database content.

3. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

Thanks Till! That's what I was looking for.

cheers!
    ken

4. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

Interesting problem

Hi,

Well I've started my copy of mail and html and all seems to be going well, however, I did encounter one problem I have NEVER seen before.

This is the debian squeeze perfect server with ISPconfig 3. I have set a static IP for this server, however, during working on copying mail etc, the IP address suddenly reverted back to a dhcp address. I have no static maps in the DHCP to force a particular MAC to an IP and as soon as I issued a networking restart it went back to the static. Any ideas what might cause this? I certainly can't put this server in production with this random thing happening, even though I'm quite sure it is not really 'random'.

Here is my interfaces file;

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    #allow-hotplug eth0
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.100.51
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.100.0
    broadcast 192.168.100.255
    gateway 192.168.100.1

thanks,
    ken

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I've never heard of something like that. Maybe it was just a hiccup.

6. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

Hi Falko,

Yea you may be right. I think I'm going to wait a week or so before I move it into production. I've setup rsync scripts to keep everything up to date on the new server. So we'll see.

If it does it again I'll definitely post anything I find in the logs etc.

Cheers!
    ken

7. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

Also it might be worth mentioning this;

I was getting errors each time Thunderbird would touch a mail folder after Thunderbird first started. It would say something to the effect of "Filesystem notification error. Contact your mail administrator." The fix turned out to be that I needed to install gamin with: apt-get install gamin

Once done, the message stopped happening.

Cheers!
    Ken

8. -crisstm-

-crisstm- Banned

script

i made a script to backup and restore in ispconfig 2.
    if you need i can modify for backup from ispconfig2 and restore to ispconfig3.

9. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

Ok it just happened again. (eth0 reverting to DHCP)

I did a bit of digging through the logs and found some network card errors related to missing a firmware file for tigon\tg3_tso5.bin. I then found a blog page that described what needed to happen to get it installed here;

http://noviantech.com/blog/2010/06/23/debian-kernels-and-tigon-tg3-firmware/

So I rebooted after installing that and I'm not seeing any more of the error messages, however, only time will tell if that is what was truly causing the problem.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
    Ken

10. trondhuso

trondhuso Member

I am about to do the same thing as the thread starter. Moving from ISPC2 to ISPC3 - and only for one domain on the ISPC2-server.
    I believe I noticed the thread starter used rsync. is this correct. Does the thread starter remember what he did to do this?

My goal is to try and move this domain from one server to the other without loosing any e-mail. Anything I should do in advance before starting the move?
    (They have 10gb of e-mails to be moved...)