Moving to AWS

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by molahs, Sep 21, 2023.

1. molahs

molahs Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I am moving away from hosting on my own hardware to AWS.
    What is the best practice to move my whole setup to AWS?
    I have 4 servers running ISPConfig.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Single servers or a multiserver setup?

3. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

OS?

if you're using quota's, you'll need to install a kernel module and probe the quota modules before running the auto-installer..
    using ubuntu it's easy enough.. https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/ubuntu-22-04-debian-11-aws-ec2-disk-quotas.90777/#post-447288
    should be very similar on debian.
    if you use graviton based instances you'll need to install manually.. the auto-installer doesn't fully work on those.. some packages are not available or have slightly different names, you'll have to search the package list to find them.

everything else should just be normal aws networking / firewall stuff..
    don't know what you're doing for storage.. EFS is an option, or you'll need another ec2 instance (or more) running nfs or glusterfs etc for shared storage, or stick with EBS for standard storage for that instance only (storage can be removed and attached to another instance).
    if using ebs, you will get better overall speed using separate ebs volumes mounted for /var/www/ /var/log /var/lib/mysql etc...

till likes this.
  4. molahs

molahs Member HowtoForge Supporter

4 single servers. each is a standalone. they're all running Ubuntu with nginx

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

in this case, you can use the Migration Tool (which is part of the Migration Toolkit) to migrate the systems to AWS. https://www.ispconfig.org/add-ons/ispconfig-migration-tool/

1) Install the new systems at AWS.
    2) Run migration tool on the old system and let it connect o the new system to import the setup into the new server.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...-confixx-plesk-to-ispconfig-31-single-server/

One important thing is that you see the same Let#s encrypt client on the new server that is used on the old server. The ISPConfig auto installer has a command line option to choose certbot instead of acme.sh. So if the old system uses certbot, then use certbot on the new server as well.

6. concept21

concept21 Active Member

I do not recommend aws. It is expensive and will delete your server if they do not like you.

There are so many good data centres out there. If you want expensive - IBM, Oracle. etc.
    Cheap data centres - Namecheap, Linode, etc.

7. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i don't know what you were doing on aws.. i've used them for years.. i provide supoort for another company that's used them for years..
    aws have never even attempted to just delete a server.
    i've not heard of this happening to anyone. even on a google search, i can't find any reference to this happen to anyone, and if it was a regular occurrence you can be damn sure it would be plastered all over the internet.
    maybe you just had your ec2 instances configured with 'delete on termination' enabled and shutdown a server.

yes, they can be expensive, but then they provide a lot more options than other providers.. i also use digital ocean, and they don't provide anywhere near the same range of cpu/ram combinations..
    and excluding disk usage, and data out costs.. you can easily save 60-70% on instance costs, depending on how willing / able you are to commit to running the instance for a full 1 year or 3 year term, especially if you can pre-pay for the instance.

8. concept21

concept21 Active Member

It is because they are so rich that they can control voice. AWS are boss of some USA main stream media.
    It is out of the scope of this forum. :mad: