Multi-Server Setup - Multi-Function Server

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by NeonTigerUK, Jan 10, 2017.

1. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

Hi All

I want to create a new server in my multi-server setup, but I need it to be both web, mail and sql server - client wants me to manage it, but wants everything on his own separated server.

can you please advise
    a: is it possible
    b: is it recommended
    c: is it just a case of running the chapters from the manual for each service in order?

also do i have to add the new server into the hosts file on the existing servers or is this automatic once the server is registered to the main server?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

a) yes
    b) That's absolutely fine, the way you split services about servers is completely up to you. If you want to group services for a client on one server, then thats fine.
    c) You could do that, but I would simply follow the perfect server guide to set this node up, at the end you run ispconfig install in expert instead of standard mode so that the installer asks you for the connection to the master server. And you should anser the question if the ispconfig interface shall be installed with "no" as the interface of this node is on the master.

It is sufficient to add it to the hosts file of the master, what matters is that the slave can "see" the master and vice versa.

3. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

apologies for the resurrecting of the thread, but I've finally had the go-ahead from the client -

server built as per advice - using the perfect server guide - all appears to have gone well

added to ISPConfig dashboard - looks good :)

however .... I can't get it to work with the domain alias that i have set ... I have set the field on the server to be
    [website_domain].weld.previewdomain.tld

I have added the weld. and *.weld. to the previewdomain.tld dns but when I browse to the URL for the site that has been set up on the server, I get the standard Debian welcome page, not the ISPConfig one

i've added domain.test to my local hosts file, and it also brings up the default apache page, so im thinking there's something wrong somewhere with the config

any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  4. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

Edit: domain.test is now showing the right domain, but the preview domain still isn't ...

5. till

Please check if you can find the preview domain name in the vhost file of the website.

6. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

yes, its there

7. till

Then the site must be accessible trough that domain, ensure that the IP address of the domain matches the one of the main domain of the site, in case you use different IP's.

8. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

how do you mean? weld.previewdomain.tld has its IP addresses set to the IP of the server

website.domain is set to the IP of the correct server in ISPC

9. till

I meant that in case that you selected an IP in the Ip field of this website, then this IP must match with the IP of the domain weld.previewdomain.tld.

10. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

which it does

11. till

Then the correct site must show up if there is no bug in the underlying web server (which is unlikely) as ISPConfig's part is finished with writing the domain name into the config file. You should try to restart the webserver ad then cjeck again.