Multiple HD - IPC Setup

Discussion in 'General' started by alexillsley, Mar 2, 2007.

1. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Hi,
    I was just wondering if it would be possible to spread IPC accross to 2 disks. Also wondering what sort of partions i would set up.

I currently have to servers though i have decided to merge them, into one bigger powerfull one, this is how i would like the disks set up

-----------

1 - 20gb - System Disk (OS)
    2 - 20gb - ISPConfig Control Panel
    3 - 120gb - Users Sites

---------

Any ideas how i could set up this configuration, with ispc and partions?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

why do you want to split ispconfig on a separate disk?

3. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Just the first thing that came to mind, to split everything up neatley but with a bit of thought its probably better to have something like this:

-----------

1 - 20gb - System Disk (OS) + ISPConfig Control Panel
    2 - 20gb - Raid Mirror of disk 1
    3 - 120gb - Users Sites

---------

How would i get the users site when i install ispc to not be on the system disk /ipsc disk and to be on disk 3?
    Thanks,
    Alex

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The control panel is installed in /root/ispconfig and /home/admispconfig, the web sites are usually created in /var/www or /srv/www, but you can specify that during the installation.

So if you let ISPConfig create web sites in /var/www, you could create a /var/www partition on the 120GB disk before you install ISPConfig.

5. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Sounds good! Also how could i make the MySql databases be stored on the 120gb disk aswell?

6. jnsc

jnsc rotaredoM Moderator

mysql usually stores his DB's in /var/lib/mysql

7. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

could i change that location to like /srv/mysql somehow??

8. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Also a few other questions:

I need to have an exact copy of another ispc server on this ispc server would i just need to put the users site in /srv/www and get a backup mysql? and run that? What about the system users it creates?

Also can i install apache, profptd, quota, etc before i have set up the sites partion at /srv/www

Thanks,
    Alex

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  9. falko

Why don't you use your 120GB disk for the /var partition and let ISPConfig create web sites in /var/www? If your MySQL databases are in /var/lib/mysql, they'd be on the big disk as well.

10. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Didnt think of that becuase my site are in srv/www but if ispc let you set the dir of the sites then thats sorted

So once i have got my disks set up i would like to tranfer data from my old server to my new server. Would i just have to copy the sites to the web directory and get a sql database backup of ispconfig and and of my users sql database

Would this fully move the server? as the system users it creates would not be there, would ispc restore these automatically?

Thanks,
    alex

EDIT: would i just be able to copy var/lib/mysql to my new server and copy /srv/www to var/www then would my new server be an exact copy of how it was before

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  11. falko

12. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Looks good:) Thanks

I just have to make this run a smothly as possible as the 120gb is my current servers hard disk so my server will be down till i have moved its disk at got it up and running on the new server

13. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

where are the pri*.zone files kept on opensuse10.2?
    Thanks,
    Alex

EDIT:
    Ok i have backed up the following files:

-> SQL BACKUP : DUMP
    -> Mail : mail.tar.gz
    -> Sites : www.tar.gz
    -> ProFTPD : proftpd.conf, proftpd.conf.orig, proftpd_ispconfig.conf
    -> Users : etc/password /etc/shaddow
    -> Named.c:nf, group
    -> Vhosts : etc/apache2/vhosts_ispconfig.conf
    -> Postfix: /etc/postfix/loca-host-names, /etc/prostfix/virtualusertable
    -> ISPConfig: /home/admispconfig, /root/ispconfig

still need to know where the pri*.zone files are kept? Can you see anything i have missed

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  14. till

Just run:

locate pri.

to find the location. The location may vary depending on your setup.

15. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Thanks, ill try that later.

As i am going to mount my 120gb hard drives as /var what about the operating system files already in var? Do i have to reinstall my os aswell?

16. till

The following is untested but may work:

1) mount the new HD as e.g. /var_new
    2) Copy all files and directories from /var to /var_new with presever permissions.
    3) Edit /etc/fstab so that the new harddisk is mounted as /var on next beoot and reboot your server.

17. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

fingers crossed it all works otherwise i will have no servers operational at all!

18. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Test, always use a test system :rolleyes:

19. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

If i had a spare hard drive i would test it in the new server but i dont have one, and at the moment i have no money so...

20. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Well a Virtual Machine is easily created to play around. No extra hardware, and yet a full operational system ...... to test and play. With snapshots you can even recover quickly from mistakes.....