Multiple servers w/ISPConfig - DNS Problems

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by etruel, Oct 21, 2020.

1. etruel

etruel Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,
    I have some major confusion with the DNS. Primary, secondary and zone transfer. I have been looking and reading many forum topics and external sites and I can't find it.

I had 2 servers and I acquired one more. All of them with Debian, Apache and ISPConfig updated or to be updated.

The two old ones are ns1.etruel.com (IP1) and server2.etruel.com (IP2)

The new one I acquired will be the main one where I will move the most important websites so I named it server1.etruel.com (I have 5 IPv4 here )

All 3 are configured as individual servers.

ns1 will remain for backups and test sites. (Maybe I rename it as server3.)
    I'm thinking to set up server1 and server2 as primary and secondary dns respectively. Do you think this is a good idea? Or do you advise something different?

After knowing this is that I need to know how to configure in the DNS zone and Secondary DNS Zone of each server.

Thanks
    Esteban

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I must admit I do not understand what you are asking. However, my signature has link to DNS tutorial, maybe after reading that you can ask the question so we both understand.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. etruel

I remember that I saw it, but with many other things. I will read it again, anyway I quoted part of my post and changed some words of the English translation to see if it is more clear.
    (I mainly need advice on what is most convenient. But with an idea on how to implement it)

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can do that. Nameserver migrations can be a pain in the ** though, keep that in mind ;)

As long as your nameservers are on 2 different servers it is alright.

5. etruel

thanks, yes, nobodys likes that. xD
    About the DNS configuration, I'm attaching a screenshot to show the fields that give me some doubts.
    I'm in server1 Secondary DNS Zone.
    Should the fields below be filled with server2 DNS-zone and NS (IP) ?
    Allow zone transfers to these IPs (comma separated list): What about this ? Should be filled with ns1 and server2 IPs ?
    Firefox_Screenshot_2020-10-22T00-05-26.543Z.png

6. Th0m

The NS and transfer field should contain the address of the main nameserver.

7. etruel

Sorry, I'm still confused. Surely I'm misunderstanding something.
    What do you mean by "main" name server? I have 3 separate servers.
    This is not a multi-server configuration. But anyway I'm trying to use them as a primary (server1) and secondary (server2) DNS

I have started to follow Taleman's tutorial, but, again, it is not a multi-server configuration.

Should I switch to a multi-server configuration to be able to relate the DNS?

8. Th0m

The main nameserver is the one that holds the zones. So under DNS -> Zone, the server that's used there for your zones.

If it is not a multiserver config, you can still use this function. Example:
    server1 holds the zones
    server2 is to be the secondary server

add a secondary zone on server2 with the IP address of server1 for NS and transfer field. Specify the zone that's on server1 which you want to replicate.

9. etruel

Hey thanks. That's starting to make sense in my head.

10. Th0m

Let us know if you have any further trouble :)

etruel likes this.