Multiple SSL sites in ispconfig with 1 IP address possible?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by rob_morin, Oct 12, 2016.

1. rob_morin

rob_morin Member

Hello, I assume that a server needs 1 IP address per SSL website, is this still true?
    As we want to offer ssl sites to clients, but we do not have anywhere near the amount of IPs needed.

Possible?
    Thanks..

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Not when you use a recent web browser that supports IDN. This topic does not depend on ISPConfig, its a question of the web browser.

3. elmacus

elmacus Active Member

Till means SNI, its supported in Apache 2.4 and more.
    IDN is International Domain Name, a diffrent problem in ISPconfig gui.

4. till

SNI has to be supported by the client and the server. See here for a list of software that supports IDN:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

There is no problem with IDN. ISPConfig supports IDN names incl. automatic conversion for several years now.

5. elmacus

elmacus Active Member

6. till

This works fine on all of my servers. Just tested it again on an Ubuntu 16.04 ISPConfig 3.1 system and works flawlessly. Here are the screenshots of the IDN domains that I added. Thank you for reporting that we missed to close the bugrepot after the issue was fixed. I closed it now after verifying that the bug does not happen anymore in 3.1. The only thing that is missing is an auto conversion in the wizard so the domain has to be entered as punycode there but gets then shown correctly in the list and it can be edited without problems later. I've added a feature request to add the auto IDN conversion to the wizard as well.

Attached Files:

7. elmacus

elmacus Active Member

Deleted comment due to solved in other thread.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  8. till

It is fixed in 3.1. This has been verified on several servers. You can easily verify it yourself in the online demo:

http://demo3.ispconfig.org/

user: client
    pw: demo

Go to DNS, click on "Add DNS Zone manually", enter:

Zone: täüst.tld.
    NS: ns.täüst.tld.
    Email: admin.täüst.tld.

Press save, then open it again, try to go to the records tab, as you can see, it works fine.

My guess is that you mix up the IDN problem with the zone protection that ensures that the zone name that was added by an admin can not be changed by a client. A client can only change a zone that he added himself (or that the admin added for him by using the login-as function)

9. rob_morin

rob_morin Member

Thanks I will try it out...

10. muekno

muekno Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Can confirm, have running multiple SSL Site on the same IP address, works in 3.0 and 3.1

11. rob_morin

rob_morin Member

SO i have to be running php7(aka Ubuntu 16) in order for it to work, I am still on 14

12. pawan

pawan Member

@rob_morin - I am on ubuntu 12.04 using PHP 5.3 and using SSL on multiple domains without any problem.

13. till

No. The PHP version is not related to SSL.