multiple versions of php

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ressel, Jan 18, 2016.

1. ressel

ressel Member

Hello ISPconfig users,

I got this idea, I thought it is difficult and time consuming to install new PHP versions in ispconfig, especially when you have many servers I only use debian with ispconfig.

Would it be difficult, from one debian server, install php and package it into a .deb package and share it with an own debian repo to the other servers, based on the guide to have here on the page where php 7th x installers to /opt/php-7 instead of eg. /opt/php-7.0.0 as shown in the guide here:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-php-7-on-debian/
    And when a new php version is built, it will be rolled out on to my server from my debian repo.

My thought is that I of course want to easily install php, but also making sure that I have a new version, as long as security updates are available.

So all in all, I want this to minimize work-maintenance of systems

What do you think?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think that should be possible. Just ensure that this new .deb package instals all dependencies.

3. ressel

ressel Member

Do you know of any way to do it different, that will be easy to maintain?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The way I do it is that I have put the compile commands into a script. I have already a script that I will make available to howtoforge subscribers soon, have to finish the 3.1 release of ISPConfig first.

For the sub version updates I would try to create /opt/php-7 as symlink to /opt/php-7.0.0 and use /opt/php-7/.... paths in the ispconfig path settings.