Multiple webservers with ISPConfig3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by frenkdefrog, May 29, 2021.

1. frenkdefrog

frenkdefrog New Member

Hi guys,
    I have an existing multiserver setup with 1 dns, 1 mail and 1 webszerver. All of them are running on ubuntu16.04. It happened that we need another webserver, which is set up based on the tutorials. This fresh, newly installed webserver can be seen on the web interface, and I am able to create new website via web interface. The files are created on the new server, so everything looks fine so far. But the main problem is that the website (deployed into the new server) can not be reached, only the "it works" title appears. This is the default apache2 page, so I assume I might have missed something. They are in the same subnet and they can reach eachother on their private ip addresses.
    Can you please point me how to set up a kind of reverse proxy via the web interface, which takes the web requests on the main webserver then redirects to the new one? Or is there any easier solution?
    I also wonder if someone could tell me how the ssl certificate is handled in this situation? On which webserver will be stored and used?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your nat router is forwarding two ip addresses, one for each web server? Ensure your websites are set to use '*' for the address, not a specific ip.

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The problem behind nat router, if that is your case, is that normally you cannot have two local ip each serving as web server but I think you already knew this.

I haven't implemented the same in mine yet but in my research and planning, you need a proxy server in front of both web servers where each server should handle their own website certificates.

There could be other solution(s) but this is the one that I finalized in my plan, if your servers are behind a nat router.

4. frenkdefrog

frenkdefrog New Member

I was afraid of this answer :). I hoped there is a built in solution in ISPConfig3 just I couldn't find it. Anyway, thank you for your answer.

5. ahrasis

Well, I was not saying that you cannot use only two web servers because you can by making one web + proxy servers and the other just a web server with more resources will be used on the former server.

The problem with nat, either with dmz or port-forwading, which perhaps you already knew, is that they have fixed local ip and cannot choose which one is the right server for the website thus you'll need the proxy.

6. frenkdefrog

frenkdefrog New Member

First of all, thank you for your answer. I might not get you right, but I would say no. There is only one public IP, which has two ports 80 and 443 forwarded to the webserver's private IP in the subnet (192.168.x.x/24). Let's say webserver1 has 192.168.1.10/24, and webserver2 has 192.168.1.11/24. As I saw, the ISPConfig UI knows about the webserver2. If I create a new website then it is created on webserver2 which looks good. The only problem is the website can not be accessed. I guess it is because the webserver1 gets the HTTP/HTTPS requests and can not deal with them, as it has no website on the requested virtual host.

7. ahrasis

Actually @till corrected me on this point in some other thread, which is, you select the server for your website but you use asterisk and not ip for it.

The reason you cannot access the website directly is not because of the above but portwarding settings in your nat router which you probably have it set to the first web server for port 80 and 443.