Multiple Websites and SSL

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Dale-Hutch, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Dale-Hutch

Dale-Hutch New Member

Hello,
    I have a ISPConfig webserver up and operational and I'm running into an issue that maybe someone can help me with. I currently have one site fully operational with SSL. Let's Encrypt is installed and ISPConfig created and pulled the certificates without issues. I recently added a second website to the server. HTTP to the new site works fine. But when I try HTTPS to the second site I am sent to the first site. There is a certificate on the second site. It is the same as the first site. I can't seem to get both site to work with SSL independently.

Anywhere I can look to see what may be the issue?

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The behaviour you describe happens when the second site has no SSL cert yet or SSL is not enabled on the second site yet. Enable ssl for the second site in ISPConfig together with Let's encrypt option if you want to get a let's encrypt SSL cert or add a cert on the SSL tab.

3. Dale-Hutch

Dale-Hutch New Member

Thanks Till,
    I thought I did this already. SSL and Let's Encrypt is checked. The odd thing is the Certificate is the same for both sites. Would clearing out the certificate on the second site and click on "Create Certificate" have ISPConfig generate a new certificate from Let's Encrypt?

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is the second site subdomain of the first?
    How did you see the certificate was the same on both websites? I mean, I can not see how that situation could happen unless it is aliasdomain and ISPConfig automatically includes aliasdomains to the certificate.

5. till

It probably just looks as if its the same because you get the first site instead of the second one.

no, don't do that. The SSL tab is only used if Let's encrypt is not used. Double-check the settings of the second site, is SSL ticked and Let's encrypt stayed ticked? IF no LE cert can be issued, the checkbox becomes unticked after about 1 minute.

6. Dale-Hutch

Dale-Hutch New Member

It is the same Certificate. I copied and pasted both into Notepad ++. You highlight the first and the second highlights. Meaning they are the same.

7. Dale-Hutch

Dale-Hutch New Member

Ok Till..
    I'll sure the Let's Encrypt it checked and see if they will clear it up.
    I'll post an update.

Thanks for your help.

8. till

That's not what I meant. The browser sees the same cert but not because this cert is used by the second site. It gets the same cert because it gets the same first site in both cases due to SSL missing for the second one.

9. Dale-Hutch

Dale-Hutch New Member

OK. What I did was build out a brand new Debian 10 Server with ISPConfig. I followed your Perfect Server guide and did add Let's Encrypt. I created only one site and checked the Let's Encrypt box. SSL checked as well. Let it sit for a bit and then tried to view the site. HTTP works. HTTPS throws an error. I go back and look at the domain and the SSL and Let's Encrypt are unchecked. Seems the settings are not staying saved. Any log or place I can view to see if there are errors?

Error on the browser is "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR"

10. Dale-Hutch

Dale-Hutch New Member

I did some comparison between the two ISPConfig servers. The original one that was the two sites, the working SSL site (Site1) has the Let's Encrypt and SSL checked and is working. The second site (Site2) will not keep the SSL and Let's Encrypt checked so you are right Site2 is using Site1's SSL.
    The new ISPConfig server only has one site on it. And SSL and Let's Encrypt will not stay clicked.
    Seems the server stopped saving the SSL settings.
    I looked in the letsencrypt log \var\logs\letsencrypt on the second server. Nothing is being entered into it.
    The first server has site1's SSL request logged. Nothing for the second site.

11. till

12. Dale-Hutch

Dale-Hutch New Member

Thank you Till!!!!

Your troubleshooting page did the trick. I unchecked the "Check Let's Encrypt" in the Server Configuration and it worked!!!