Multiserver connect to mail.domain how to configure it to work?

Discussion in 'General' started by rodrigosarri, Jul 27, 2021.

1. rodrigosarri

rodrigosarri Member

Hello everyone, everything good?
    I have the following problem:

I have two servers:
    (Server A - 209.239.122.148): With email, database, web and dns services.
    (Server B - 148.72.150.171): Web, Database and XMPP

When setting up email on server A and website files on server B when I try to access email using an email program like Outlook or when I try to use the email account in a backend script I get the error:

ERROR: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not respond properly after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Using the settings I've always used:

mail.domain.com
    SMTP port: 25
    no encryption
    username: [email protected]

I even went into DNS and changed the ip to server A at mail.domain.com
    upload_2021-7-26_22-16-44.png

Thank you for any help!

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ensure your mail server has an ssl certificate, and try sending on port 587 with STARTTLS encryption. You might need to use the server hostname if mail.domain.com isn't in the certificate, or request the certificate with that name included.

Find a recent post by @Taleman, I believe his signature includes a link to an email tutorial.

3. rodrigosarri

rodrigosarri Member

Thank you very much. I'm going to look for @Taleman's post, however I've also tried using port 587 and STARTTLS encryption and I wasn't successful either.

When I use a website and email on the same server (Server A), it works. The problem is that I use the website on Server B and the email on Server A.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Websites and email are completely independent of each other, so it's perfectly fine that email and website are on different servers. Just take care that you point the MX record of the domain to the mail server and that you use the mail server's hostname to connect to the mail system with your email client.