Multiserver master reinstall.[SOLVED]

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by spazio, Dec 27, 2023.

1. spazio

spazio Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all,
    I have a multi server setup. serverA with master database and serverB connected to master but with admin pannel. I had to reinstall the serverA Master on a new hardware with same hostname and same config ( lets call it serverA1) and I imported all the data with ispconfig import tool.
    Now I have serverA1 with all the data working ok but serverB is not connected to the master database and I don't see serverB on the master.
    Since I'm not doing a reinstallation on serverB!
    How can I add serverB to the master?

Thanks
    Spazio

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Not sue what you mean by import Tool, we have the Migration Tool, and we have ISPCopy to migrate servers, both work in different ways and have different capabilities. To move a master server to a new hardware while keeping a slave node attached, you must use the tool "ISPCopy" from the migration toolkit as it copies over an ISPConfig system to a new server while keeping the slave node data so you can re-attach the slave node. If you used the Migration Tool instead, then the slave node can not be re-attached and needs to be migrated to a new system as well. Which tool did you use to migrate the master server to a new system?

3. spazio

Oh! Nooo... I think it's a case of not reading the doc to the end in the rush to migrate the server... ( My mistake ) Looks like I used the Migrate tool because the slave server is not in the DB of the master.
    Since I have the control panel on the slave server. I can use it like this until I migrate content to a new server. My big problem is that I have my secondary DNS on the slave server and it's not updating.
    Is there a way I can just connect the DNS part from the slave node to the master so I have sync DNS again?

4. till

You were running ServerB as a mirror of ServerA in ISPConfig?

5. spazio

I used it as a seconday DNS and yes it's supposed to be a mirror of the dns on the master

6. till

Ok, so you had set it as "mirror of server" under System > server services on the old system then right? Does server B run DNS only?

7. spazio

Not just dns, it has, all services, web, db, mail, dns etc
    But like I said, it has the admin interface so I can make change if I need to!
    My need is just to sync (mirror) the DNS2 on the serverb to dns1 on the ServerA1 witch is master
    I can see the DB request on the ServerA1 logs:
    Dec 25 12:42:05 ServerA1 mariadbd[936]: 2023-12-25 12:42:05 454 [Warning] Access denied for user 'ispcsrv2'@'ServerB' (using password: YES

Is adding the user 'ispcsrv2' from serverB on ServerA1 is a viable solution?

8. till

Not sure what exactly you set up there as a slave node in an ISPConfig server setup may never have its own GUI connected to its local database. If you install a GUI on a slave node and connect it to the local database, then any change you might do there will collide with the data in the master and break your system. The only way you can have a second UI is that this second UI is not connected to the local database (means it can not manage the data on the slave node directly) but is connected to the master database (that's the way it is set up in mirror server guides).

No, as serverB does not exist on master anymore at all, so you do not just have a connection issue.

The cleanest way out of your current situation would probably be to get a small and cheap new VM as new secondary dns, install ispconfig just as DNS slave node and connect it to the new master. Then set this new DNS slave as mirror of the master server and run Tools > resync to sync all zones over to the new DNS slave. The drawback is of course that you have a new secondary DNS and depending on your setup, you might have to to not just change the IP for the secondary DNS hostname but also change DNS zones.

Or you might want to contact @Th0m from ISPConfig business support to have a look at your current system situation directly and let him suggest a solution based on his findings, as your system setup is a bit unclear to me. You can contact Thom here: https://www.ispconfig.org/get-support/?type=ispconfig

9. spazio

Thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes there is beauty in simple stupid!
    I'll go with a new DNS instance connected to the master for the moment and decommissioned the serverB.
    I'll use migration tool for the rest of the content on serverB. If I have any problems I'll contact @Th0m.

Thanks for your insight.
    Happy new year!
    Spazio

Th0m and till like this.