My First Server

Discussion in 'Technical' started by agord, Nov 25, 2012.

1. agord

agord New Member

Hi Guys!

This is a little question about setup for server...i have no much money and i want to build a good server cpu-money.

(the values may be expensive..because im in argentina)
    considering that AMD motherboard are cheapear than intel here
    with 100 usd i can buy an amd raid suport mother with intel it start with 300 usd.

1.- AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 $332 usd (thinking that it has a lot of cores it might be good for apache dont?)
    2.- Intel Core i5 2310 $270 usd

the second question is how much ram ? 4gb or 8gb ?
    should i use raid ? or some gluster/nfs setup ?

thanks guys!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The optimal hardware setup depends on the usage scenario for the server. For which services shall the server be used?

The Bottleneck on most hosting systems is the harddisk performance and not the CPU. So for hosting systems that run cms systems with large mysql databases it can be better to invest the money in a fast ssd disk and use a cheaper cpu instead.

3. agord

agord New Member

Hmmm well i have two ideas, email marketing and web host (lot of dbs).

Should i use a raid or unify my storage with gluster o something like that ?

I really appreciate your help till :) !!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Gluster isn't very fast. I'd go for RAID, possibly with SSDs - this will give you good IO performance which is good especially for MySQL.

5. agord

agord New Member

Should i built a multi-server setup ? or 1 big server with all ?

Sorry for all the questions lol
    Thank you very much!

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That depends on your budget. If you don't have much money, go for one big server. But if you have the money and can build a fast dedicated MySQL server, that will take the load away from the web servers.