My own name servers

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by ColdDoT, May 2, 2006.

1. ColdDoT

ColdDoT Member

Hallo
    i've have posted here a thread about it before but i can't find it :S
    So wat i reali like to have is my own name server without any other dns hosters or whaterver

is there a way to do that?

greets kevin

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Yes there is, I have done it myself but I think there are better ways.

What I first did was creating nameserver entries at my host for my domain.

I use directnic.com and they allow me for each domain to make nameserver entries.

So I created ns1.roleplayer.org and ns2.roleplayer.org (both pointing to the same IP as I have only one server... I don't need redundance there because if the server is down, then an alternate nameserver won't help either ^^).

After that I installed bind9 (apt-get install bind9) on debian and chrooted it. I think Falko has a tut on how to do that (http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_bind_chroot_debian). It took me quite a while until I accomplished that as I did not find any tut that worked for me.

I just see that there are a few tuts here on howtoforge.com but I haven't read them.
    Well, once you have setup your chrooted bind and created nameserver entries at your registrar then you only need to proper setup the domain name records.

I mostly copy and pasted them from a little book that I bought. When I'm home I can give you the entries I used. I know, they are far from being perfect but hey, the work ^^

Well, here's the DNS report for my domain:
    http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=roleplayer.org

As you can see there are some red error messages, I don't really know what they mean but everything seems to work perfectly with my setup :)

P.S.: Dammit, I was too slow typing all of this and Timme bet me by pasting two URLs ^^

4. ColdDoT

ColdDoT Member

Thx
    So there is no way i can skip the other domein regestration?
    To bad thx.
    (sjau i like your respons better and helpfuler:D)
    (Falko :p)

sjau after you have maded the 2 nameserver entry's can you change it afterwards?
    Greets

5. ColdDoT

ColdDoT Member

The whole thing what i want is get rid of the 3 party things
    so that i don't have to use some ones other serverice.
    because i have now free nameservers and they go sometimes offline:s

greets

6. sjau

HOw do you to change the nameserver entries afterwards?
    What you need to do is at your domain registrar tell, that www.domain.com or ns1.domain.com or ns2.domain.com or whatever.domain.com is to be treated as a nameserver. I think they call that glue record but I'm no DNS pro ^^

Then have bind installed (and chrooted) and then you need some config files...

I'll post mine here (although they aren't probably the best ones out there ^^)

db.0
    db.127
    db.255
    db.empty
    db.local
    db.root
    default.zone
    named.conf
    named.conf.local
    named.conf.options
    named.domains
    zones.rfc.1918
    roleplayer.org.zone

7. sjau

montepacis.com.zone
    *.zone
    Generally you can make your default zone what you normally like and point domains there from the named.domains file. Only if you want to use seperate settings for a domain you need to create a new zone.

Well, that's my config. It works but I'm sure there are better solutions out there.

8. falko

9. ColdDoT

ColdDoT Member

Thx you2 for the helpfull info.
    sjau you meen the company that i say that they must register the domain colddot.nl?

10. falko

Yes, that's right.