Mydns limits

Discussion in 'General' started by Wilsonjc82, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Wilsonjc82

Wilsonjc82 New Member

Hi all.

We are looking to continue using Mydnsconfig, however we are finding at our peak times the service will crash, to restart it is just a case of /etc/init.d/mydns restart. all is good again.

However as the business continues to grow we are worried we may need either to change the product (most definately not the best option), or tweak our setup.

I have a few questions.

Firstly what is the limit on connections the mydns server can handle, ( I know it will depend on hardware), however a rough idea would be great.

Secondly, is there a way to optimise this server? can we tweak the server to handle these extra queries. (ubuntu however if you want I can use anything)

Does the new ISPconfig 3.0.4 handle DNS better than mydnsconfig, I know that may be a silly question. but it appears to be the "current" product.

Lastly, does anyone know of a way to cluster the mydnsconfig programme so we can have a single external IP but multiple servers handling the requests?

I hope that makes sense; feel free to ask questions.

Regards

John

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't know of a connection limit. It might be a problem with your MySQL server, so maybe you need to fine-tune it's configuration. Maybe it's also a problem with disk I/O. I suggest you install munin to find out what the problem is.

Both ISPconfig and MyDNSConfig are just frontends to make configuration easier, but records are still served by MyDNS. So the frontend doesn't matter.

Any loadbalancer (such as HAProxy) should be capable of this.