mydns settings/help

Discussion in 'General' started by believo, Jan 25, 2009.

1. believo

believo New Member

I was following a how to guide from Falko Timme on how to install a dns server on centos.

http://howtoforge.com/installing-mydns-mydnsconfig-centos-5.1

I installed mydns, and all the associated programs such as mydnsconfig, phpmyadmin, and mysql. Everything seems to be installed correctly (i am able to at least log in to everything) however I am having trouble actually using mydns as a dns server. I tried pointing one of the computers in my network to my mydns server's IP address to use as a DNS server but I was unable to resolve google.com.

I was able to install a BIND dns server and use it successfully but I want to learn more about mysql and have the capacity to look at tables where presumably the data for resolving names is stored.

I don't understand the concept of zones, and there aren't many resources available to learn about it. Can I import "zones" from other dns servers like the ones that my ISP uses? If so how do I go about doing that?

On the mydns main page it says that mydns does not provide recursive lookups, so how does one go about adding this functionality? The directions on the mydns home page weren't very clear.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in your mydns.conf?