MyDNS Stack Smashing ubuntu 9.10 64

Discussion in 'General' started by DantePasquale, Mar 12, 2010.

1. DantePasquale

DantePasquale Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I'm seeing this in my syslog:

Code:
    Mar 12 14:31:19 inferno mydns[5031]: *** stack smashing detected ***: /usr/local/sbin/mydns terminated
    Mar 12 14:31:19 inferno mydns[4125]: pid 5031 exited due to signal 6
    Mar 12 14:31:19 inferno mydns[4125]: Server pid 5031 died

I've redownloaded and re-made, but same results.

Thanks, Danté

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Not shure what the error is, but as alternative you can use BIND now instead of mydns with ispconfig 3.0.2. (if its a new installation we are talking about here) It should be enough then to remove mydns and install bind with:

apt-get -y install bind9 dnsutils

and then install ispconfig 3.0.2

3. DantePasquale

DantePasquale Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks, I'll give it a try

4. voidzero

voidzero New Member

Yes, I am going to move to bind as well. Haven't gotten around to it yet because of all the work involved (lots of DNS entries that I need to overhaul). Anyway, this message is to confirm that I have the same error with mydns... and when there is no working dns on my box means that a lot of processes run significantly slower. So I recommend everyone with these problems to step over to bind.

Thanks till for adding bind support :)

5. Fix for stack smashing in MyDNS-NG 1.2.8.27

I really dislike the solution to switch back to bind9. So I searched for a solution and I found it.

For fixing this problem, apply this patch, posted on the Mantis bugtracker of MyDNS-NG. It's a bug in the current MyDNS-NG 1.2.8.27 version.
    http://bugs.mydns-ng.com/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=62

- Download latest version of MyDNS-NG (1.2.8.27)
    - Extract archive
    - apply the patch, or use VIM to modify 2 lines the file src/mydns/udp.c
    - ./configure
    - make
    - stop the running MyDNS (/etc/init.d/mydns stop)
    - make install
    - start MyDNS (/etc/init.d/mydns start)

After applying this patch I'm able to answer UDP-queries in IPv6 and there's no stack smashing any more. I'm using 2 servers (Ubuntu 10.04 x64 and 9.04 x64) and this patch works.

For those who having .nl-domains, you can use the SIDN DNS-check (https://www.sidn.nl/over-nl/aanvraag-abonnement/dns-check/) to verify the usage.

@till: I hope MyDNS will still be available in the upcoming versions of ISPconfig3.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

There are no plans to abandon MyDNS.