MyDNS startup failed

Discussion in 'General' started by gcambull, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gcambull

gcambull New Member

during the initial ISPConfig install the failure of MyDNS to start up was present, I put it aside for a couple weeks, as I had other projects. Now that I have the time, I booted the server and the same failure occurs with MyDNS connecting to Mysql, here is the error after I used the Interactive startup:

Code:
    Start Service MyDNS: [Y]es/[N]o/[C]ontinue

Starting MyDNS: mydns[2347]: error connecting to Mysql Server at localhost: Can't connect to local Mysql Server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) (errno=2)      [FAILED]
    FYI Mysql start up comes after Mydns, could that be a factor and how to correct it.

Thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Try
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/mydns restart
    Does it start then?
    Which distribution are you using?

3. gcambull

gcambull New Member

Falko,

After searching for other answers I came across one of the same question but in the ISPconfig cat, and saw that you asked the same question. And yes it did restart, first it failed on stopping then it said start was ok. I was also curious why it stated it was failing on startup, but ISPConifg stated it was working.

Answer is yes.

Thanks

Using CentOs5.2

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  4. binaryrogue

binaryrogue Member

I'm also experiencing the same issue. ONLY During startup, myDNS would not start. If I restart services as mentioned, it will start fine.. I'm using Fedora 9.

Mar 2 08:57:35 ispc1 mydns[1890]: Error connecting to MySQL server at localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) (errno=2)

After doing a "service mydns restart"

Mar 2 09:08:01 ispc1 mydns[2648]: mydns 1.1.0 started Mon Mar 2 09:08:01 2009 (listening on 3 addresses)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  5. binaryrogue

binaryrogue Member

mydns does appears to start before mysql. I just changed the startup order around in the rc3.d/ directory.

6. gcambull

gcambull New Member

...and how do you do that? The problem I had went away, but like someone also said, wait and it will begin to play (so to speak), but how do you change the order?

Thanks

oh wait ur using Fed 9, me using CentOs5.2, hmm

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  7. binaryrogue

binaryrogue Member

The /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ directory list all services that starts up on run level 3. I changed the order by giving mysqld a higher priority.

Before the change -
    S64mydns
    S52mysqld

After the change -
    S63mysqld
    S64mydns

8. baskin

baskin Member

I have the same problem on Opensuse 11.1.

Mydns fails on startup but it runs ok if i execute it after the boot.

The strange with me is that in my /etc/rc.d/rc3.d i have:

S08mysql
    S11mydns

but it fails to load on boot.

Any suggestions?

9. nikita

nikita New Member

Exact same problem here. I even tried installing on defferent machines(4) and... same problem. I've also change the name to S99mydns to be sure, but no effect. tried to edit the /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S11mydns to put a dependency to start after mysql... no luck. All-in-all i've spent 5 days trying to find a solution. Any help from some openSUSE gurus?

10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'd try to change S11mydns to S99mydns.

11. nikita

nikita New Member

Heh, tried that already :). Any other ideas?

12. 40esp

40esp New Member

For the SuSE users, here is a fix:

Put your services in order under rc3.d.

Edit this file: /etc/sysconfig/boot

vi /etc/sysconfig/boot

and set: RUN_PARALLEL to "no".

Fixed if for me :)

13. baskin

baskin Member

That also fix the problem for me as well.

Thanks

14. matiasCU

matiasCU Member

Solved on Debian installation

In a debian installation, just simply change the value of runlevels, eg if we have: /etc/rc3.d/S19mysql and /etc/rc3.d/S19mydns should be changed to make sure the value of mydns by S99mydns and in the rest of the runlevels rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d

That's all, we can try restarting the server