mydomain.com/roundcube isn't working

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by snowweb, Feb 27, 2011.

1. snowweb

snowweb Member

My first domain created works fine when I visit http://mydomain.com/roundcube but domains created since then won't go to roundcube.

The problem is that I can't figure out how come the first domain works, since there is no obvious reason why it should, therefore I can't figure out how to make the later domains work like it.

Please can someone give me some pointers?

Thanks.

Peter

2. 8omas

8omas Member HowtoForge Supporter

How did you set up roundcube? Did you use your package system or did you install it manually?

3. snowweb

snowweb Member

Honestly, I can't remember now. It was a few months back, but I suspect that I just followed whatever ISPConfig advised as the easiest route, which I guess was the package manager.

4. snowweb

snowweb Member

Does anyone know the answer to this please?

Thanks.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Roundcube should always be installed into its own website. So to install roundcube, create a new website for the subdomain roundcube.yourdomain.tld and then install roundcube into that website. If you used a different setup, I recommend that you change it in this way.

6. 8omas

Why is that?
    I have installed roundcube, in /var/www/roundcube and everything is working all right. Every domain has a http://domain.com/webmail and everything seems ok. Every user has to login with [email protected] and he can do this from http://www.hisdomain.com/webmail

I have looked around and everybody suggests to install roundcube in it's own domain. Am I missing something? Is there any problem with such an installation? A bug may? Security Issue????

7. snowweb

snowweb Member

Hmm... what a nightmare! Not really the answer I was looking for. One might be forgiven for expecting the package manager to know how to install it, don't you think?

I'll read up on how to perform a manual install and try and do it, without it breaking three other things (as seems so often be the case with Linux).

Thanks for your help.

8. snowweb

snowweb Member

There seems to be as many different ways to install Roundcube as there are servers. Is this the method that ISPConfig supports please?

http://www.howtoforge.com/roundcube_webmail_ispconfig

The above link mentions using the 'ISPConfig Update Manager', but I can't see anyway to make it do it, so if you guys thing the manual install detailed in the link above is the way to go, I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

9. snowweb

snowweb Member

In reviewing the method I proposed earlier ([​IMG]), I notice that it says,

Even from this very first step, unfortunately this tutorial cannot be followed, because I imagine that it means go to 'Sites' > 'Add New Website', then click the tab called 'Basis', but I don't have any tab called 'Basis' or anything remotely similar.

Is there a method/guide which ISPConfig endorses and is accepted by most as been 'acceptable'? If so, please can you point me to it?

Thanks for your patience.

10. snowweb

snowweb Member

Sorry about the multiple posts.

I just found this guide [​IMG] which appears to be followable but it looks like it will put install Roundcube into /usr/share, which is where it was before I just removed it and not into /var/www/roundcube

Till says:
    So I guess that this guide will just put me back where I started!

11. till

The tutorial you posted is for ispconfig 2 and not ispconfig 3. ispconfig 2 is a completely different software.

The installation steps are:

1) Create a new website in ispconfig with php-fcgi and suexec enabled.
    2) Create a new mysql database in ispconfig.
    3) Install roundcube into the web directory of this new website as described in the installation instructions that were provided by the roundcube project. The install is not ispconfig specific.

12. till

Running roundcube in its own website puts the software into its own security context and runs it under a separate user while using a alias as you use it runs roundcube in the context of the client website. So in case of a roundcube bug, it might be possible to access the data of the client websites.

13. 8omas

I don't want to be stubborn, but aren't you suggest the same for squirrel mail (apt-get and a common directory /webmail for all)?
    I can only figure out that you think that squirrelmail is more secure.
    I don't really know which one is more secure, but I don't understand why the installation instructions should be different for each mail client.

Thanks again for you answer.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  14. till

Using apt-get to install squirrelmail is for ease of installation and we added it to the tutorial as users demanded that. This does not mean that its the best or most secure way to install the software.

I recommend to install every webmail client or cms system etc. into a separate webspace, independantly if its squirrelmail or roundcube.

15. 8omas

Ok. I understand now. In the other hand, it's near impossible to install a mailclient in every domain in a multidomain installation (the default for ISPConfig).
    I will stick with roundcube (installed in the same way as squirrelmail in the manual) and I'll continue looking for security issues.
    Thanks again.

16. till

Why do you want to do that? As a ISP, you install one instance of a webmail app under your ISP company domain and not under domains of your clients. Most large ISP's do it that way.

17. 8omas

Well...
    If you have more than one server (more than one mailserver), then you have to remember each server's web mail address. So telling your client that his webmail is hisdomain.com/webmail is easier (and he will remember it very easy)

As I think it, your solution with the average request can be accompished together with a rewrite rule. So there will be one installation by your way (in a subdomain of the server's domain name) and a rewrite rule for clientdomain.com/webmail that will redirect to ispdomain.com/webmail

Am I thinking it correct?

18. 8omas

One more thing.
    I think that this conversation must be placed in it's own thread with a convenient name (eg. webmail client principles -- roundcube, squirrelmail etc)

19. till

Using a rewrite rule should work.

But you can also use just one roundcube install independantly how many mail servers you use as roundcube supports to connect to different mailservers from one instance.

20. 8omas

I know but the same problem appears again.
    The client must remember his mailserver (and you too)!