mysql backups multiserver setup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Steffan, May 16, 2024.

1. Steffan

Steffan Member

Hello,

the automated backups for clients websites are stored on the sql server
    But there is no download button for the costumer to download this backup.

i see in the code that it is disabled
    Code:

$rec['download_available'] = true;
    if($rec['server_id'] != $web['server_id']) $rec['download_available'] = false;

any plan to change this?

for me i can make a script to download it from the sql server, put it in the download folder of the client and change the server id in the database.
    But this will break te restore option

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The problem is that the backups are not accessible from the web server if the web and database servers are not the same system, so we can not copy them to the backup folder in this situation. But clients can create a downloadable copy of their database at any time using PHPMyadmin too.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
  3. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

I agree, it would be nice to have that working in a multiserver setup.

4. till

The only way to get it working would be to implement a system with a shared backup storage.

5. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

do I read configureable SSHFS / NFS4 / Samba or Ceph support in some distant future?

6. till

All of this is possible in ISPConfig for backups already and used by many users. You can use any network drive protocol that allows it to mount a network drive on the shell via commands, as ISPConfig provides mount hooks as a shell script, which are called when mounting and unmounting of the backup share is needed. So all you have to do is to create the script /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/backup_dir_mount.sh containing the mount command for the network storage you want to use.

7. ztk.me

I know that one can do all sorts of things with it, I think one can tell I abuse stuff to an extend anyway.
    But I was thinking of, ISPConfig [ Web, DNS, ! NFS ! ] where one could tell ISPConfig to do the needed mountings
    and readings of backup files without doing it by myself e.g.

8. till

I won't call it abuse to use the mount script, which is made for the sole purpose of configuring backup dir mounts. In general., using the mount script is more flexible and will allow more options than we could implement and maintain. But yes, we could write a GUI form where you can select the connection method and which then writes the mount script for you.

9. ztk.me

anyways, it'd be really nice to have something seamlessly working in a future done by ISPConfig, think we can agree on that? if it's not a request already