MySQL Error in Intrusion Detection: Snort, MySQL exercise

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by n74jw, Jan 11, 2008.

1. n74jw

n74jw New Member

Hello,

I am trying to get the Intrusion detection exercise to work, and have reached a snag at the end of step 11.

The code: mysql -D snort -u root -p < /root/snorttmp/snort-2.8.0.1/schemas/create_mysql

produces the following output:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user '-root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I did reset the mysql password to match what I set in the snort.conf file. A blank password produces the same output but with a password: NO change.

I do not know anything about setting up mysql.

Thanks

2. volksman

volksman New Member

in the error you report it has a - beside root. Is that actually the error or is that a typo when making your post?

If it's the error make sure you have just '-u root' in the command you are running.

3. n74jw

n74jw New Member

You called it!

Thanks

You got it. I should be more careful before I start a thread! I was staring at this for around 45min too...

Thanks again / Muchas Gracias

4. volksman

volksman New Member

hahaha....been there before....know how that feels...glad I could help. BTW that howto tells you to comment out lines 97,98 and 452 in the web.rules. Don't bother. I didn't have to with 2.8.0.1...

5. n74jw

n74jw New Member

Good to know

Thanks for the tip... One other thing I did notice was that the section:

Find the line that says "base_header" and change it to "header".

I could not find, that is the only other hang-up. I don't know how to search for text in nano.

Thanks again!

6. volksman

volksman New Member

yeah I think that is fixed now too...I didn't have to modify that line...

no clue how to search for text in nano....use vi and hit / then type header and hit enter...but I don't think you'll find a base_header in there...