MySQL instead of MariaDB Setup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fredol, Jun 16, 2021.

1. fredol

fredol New Member

Hello all
    Is it currently possible to use MySQL as DB backend instead of MariaDB for a Debian 10 host?
    I tried several things, mainly installing MySQL using official documentation but it lacks a few files that prevents me to have a working setup.
    I read somewhere that ISPConfig 3.2 was not compatible with MySQL at this time.
    Is it true?
    Thanks for your help
    Fredol

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No. But we recommend using MariaDB, MySQL is untested and might cause issues.

3. fredol

fredol New Member

Thank you for your answer.
    Is MySQL support planned? It is a requirement on one of our project and I like to keep on using ISPConfig.
    Fredol

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

All Linux distributions switched from MySQL to MariaDB, that's why we switched as well. MySQL should work and we have no open issues regarding MySQL use with ISPConfig. But we will not list it as a supported database as we would have to test each ISPConfig release against many different MySQL versions as they are not really compatible with each other and that#s just too much hassle when there is a better alternative with MariaDB available.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

MariaDB is a MySQL server, so any software that uses MySQL should be able to use MariaDB.