Mysql password

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by oakleeman, Oct 3, 2006.

1. oakleeman

oakleeman New Member

I've been trying to follow the Centos setup guide and am having the mysql password problem.

Almost all of the ISPConfig tutorials have the following commands which numerous people have problems with:

mysqladmin -u root password yourrootsqlpassword
    mysqladmin -h server1.example.com -u root password yourrootsqlpassword

I spent several hours on the forums tonight reading through the threads of people having problems with such and couldn't get any of the fixes to work. Could someone please elaborate on why so many people have problems with it.

I wasn't able to get it working use the above command either. I think I finally got it working using :

mysqladmin password newpassword
    mysqladmin -h server1.example.com password newpassword

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The first command should work without problems. If you have problems with the second one, it's because there is another hostname than server1.example.com in the mysql.users table. You can forget about this now and correct it later with phpMyAdmin. Restart MySQL afterwards.

3. oakleeman

oakleeman New Member

Thanks for the reply, but it makes me question if it truly is a copy-paste tutorial then since I did everything the same as the guide except for the IP. I even named it server1.example.com and used yourrootsqlpassword as the password.

Based upon the number of threads regarding this topic, it might be a good idea to explain in the tutorials that this should be expected and how to fix it. Or not even have them issue the second password change until phpmyadmin is installed.

In any case, the guides are a tremendous asset to newbies like me. I frequently see them linked to in other forums.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

We'll try to make future tutorials even more error-proof. :)

5. rainer

rainer New Member

i also had the problem on 'The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.06'

its not enough to edit /etc/hosts like:
    127.0.0.1 localhost.yourlocaldomain localhost
    192.168.0.100 server1.example.com server1

you also have to edit /etc/hostname
    instead of
    server1
    there should be
    server1.example.com

after this everything worked fine on further mysql setup ;)

6. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

I've used these howto's numbers times over the last few months, mainly in an attempt to become familiar with the process and also test various linux setups for performance and reliablity.

In doing so, I've encountered the mysql problem on just about all the occasions. My resolution is to open another shell window with putty and login to mysql with the following;

mysql -u root -p [enter]

At the "mysql>" prompt I issue the following statments;
    Code:
    mysql> use mysql;

mysql> update user set host='localhost.localdomain' where user = 'root' and host = 'localhost';

This has always allowed me to finish the ispconfig installation without problems. I will try checking the hosts and hostname on the next one to see if that corrects the problem for me also.

Cheers!
    ken