mysql-virtual_*.cf - Using hostname instead of IP address

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by markp, Jul 10, 2015.

1. markp

markp New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Greetings - I have been successfully running ISPCONFIG3 in the amazon cloud with an RDS database server as a back end. Periodically, amazon changes the IP address of the RDS endpoint. This results in the the mail server to stop working until I reconfigure the all of the IPs in the mysql-virtual_*.cf files as well as the /etc/amavis/conf.d/50-user. It appears that when setting up the server it pulls the current IP address for the RDS endpoint.
    My question is why? In looking at the manual http://www.postfix.org/mysql_table.5.html it will take a hostname for the hosts entry. Would it be possible to have the setup/update scripts use the host as defined instead of getting the IP address?
    Mark

2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can create a hostname for your database-server and change the ip in the files to the hostname. Usually you use 127.0.0.1 for those files. I would never use a remote db-server to verify the mail-user etc. It´s better to use a local database to do this job. It´s faster and you won´t run into trouble if the remote goes down (or has a new ip).