[Mysteriously solved] Server unreachable

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by axxies, Jun 17, 2020.

1. axxies

axxies Member

For some reason I can no longer reach my ISPconfig3 installation. I could just a few days ago and now I can't.
    There are no firewall issues.
    I am able to reach other sites on my server.
    It's just that the ISPconfig does not respond. I have tried with Edge, Chrome and Firefox. (I don't trust Firefox anymore, they have screwed it up completely since a few years and it just becomes worse and worse with every version)

Nothing in the logs for it either under /var/log/apache2/error.log etc

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  2. sascha92

sascha92 New Member

Hi,
    what is your setup? Single, Multiserver?
    Do you host your ISPConfig with your Websites together? If single, the nginx service should not be the problem, only a missconfiguration of the default conf maybe.
    Have you tried the port :8080 to reach ISPConfig? Have you changed the port?
    What is the error, when you try to open your panel in the browser?

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please run the test script that you can find in the thread that @Taleman suggested so we get an overview.

5. axxies

axxies Member

Yes, you are all right. I apologize. I gave hardly any useful info at all. :)
    It's a single server on LAMP with Debian 9. Port 8099 is where ISPconfig is listening.
    A result of a very late evening and stress to make it work. Here we go:

------

htf_report: please see attachment

Attached Files:

6. till

Try using wget on the same server to access the ispconfig UI URL. Is wget able to retrieve that page by https or does it throw an error?

7. axxies

axxies Member

--2020-06-17 13:56:21-- https://mydomain:8099/
    Resolving mydomain (mydomain)... 144.76.*.*
    Connecting to mydomain (mydomain)|144.76.*.*|:8099... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
    --2020-06-17 13:56:21-- https://mydomain:8099/login/
    Reusing existing connection to mydomain:8099.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: unspecified [text/html]
    Saving to: ‘index.html’

index.html [ <=> ] 6.39K --.-KB/s in 0s

2020-06-17 13:56:21 (132 MB/s) - ‘index.html’ saved [6548]

--------------

The HTML code of the index.html page looks normal.

8. till

Ok, so it must be a problem in a firewall or other system that might block access in front of the server which blocks port 8099 in my opinion. Have you tried to stop ufw firewall completely for a test to see if you can access the ISPConfig Ui then?

9. axxies

axxies Member

Yes, I did that. Sorry, I forgot to tell. I stopped the ufw service, but it didn't work.
    It didn't work.

10. axxies

axxies Member

Any ideas of what other problems there might be that can block access?
    I tried to access it through a VPN proxy to make sure that I was not banned by fail2ban, but that didn't work either.

11. till

Where do you host that server? Many providers run an external firewall in front of the server or server, so it might be that the port is blocked there. Or try using a different port temporarily.

12. axxies

axxies Member

You mean that it would be changed lately, the last few days?

It's with Hetzner, a German hosting provider. I have used them for years and "always" had my ISPC3 installations on p8099.

But you are right. I will check with them if there are any changes.

13. axxies

axxies Member

Tried port 8080 too (and added that port in UFW), but it was the same result

14. till

Which exact message do you get in your web browser?

15. axxies

axxies Member

Two examples, Edge and Firefox:

Attached Files:

16. axxies

axxies Member

How do I whitelist an IP in fail2ban?
    (it shouldn't be this problem since I have tried a VPN proxy)

[EDIT: Found it. Never mind]

17. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Are you sure the hostname is pointed at the correct IP adress?

18. axxies

axxies Member

Yes, it does.

19. axxies

axxies Member

Whoa! This was the weirdest ever. I was using a router from my ISP since my Ubiquity router was broken. I have used the ISP router for a few weeks without any problems.

Now however I had this problem. After trying to all kinds of things I came to think of testing if I could see the ISPC3 login page from my mobile over 4G. It worked, but over WiFi it didn't.
    I also tested again to access it via a VPN proxy, but that didn't work either.

Now things pointed either to my network's router or my ISP.

I went away to buy another router since I disliked the junk that came from my ISP so sooner or later I would change it anyway and -voila- it worked.

I see no other explanation than that the router was the problem:

1) might it be my ISP who fiddles with things on my network with their custom firmware in the router? I don't know, but my router currently seem to be the problem.

2) with the new router also came a new IP address, but since I had tried another IP before via a VPN proxy this seem not to be the explanation.

3) since it works now on p8099, it seem not to be so that the ISP is filtering out p8099.

4) the support at Hetzner could get access to ISPC3 from their location.

Although (1) seem far-fetched, it still seem to be the only probable explanation.

Case closed.

Th0m likes this.
  20. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Some routers block outgoing traffic to "weird" ports (for example everything except http, https, smtp, smtps, imap, imaps, pop, pops3), though usually that only happens when you set it up like that or if you are using a guest network. Glad to hear it was solved for you :)