Name Server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by alphaman36, Aug 31, 2012.

1. alphaman36

alphaman36 New Member

When I do a dig from my name server I get the following:

dig @yahoo.com any

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @yahoo.com any
    ; (3 servers found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

This should return more results, what am I missing

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I guess what you wanted to do is

Code:
    dig @localhost any yahoo.com
    ?

3. alphaman36

alphaman36 New Member

Thank you

Thank you, that's what it was. Have you done much with ISPConfig in a NAT situation? I keep reading put the static IP address in the DNS manager, I can't find this option anywhere

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you want your sites to be accessible from the outside, use your router's public IP in DNS; otherwise you can just use the private IP address. Make sure you configure your client PCs to use your ISPConfig server as a DNS server.

5. alphaman36

alphaman36 New Member

I am hoping I have this right. So when I setup my zones in DNS, use the public IP address for DNS (so example it would say ns1.domain.com routable IP)

There is one problem with using ISP config for name resolution for the interanal network, I don't know how to setup a zone for the internal network. I use my firewall's DNS for internal name resolution with DNS forwarding to level 3 for items outside of the network. Also, since my DNS server share the same public address, should I only port forward to the primary DNS server? I see even though I don't have rules for the secondary it still get queried and send out responses.

By the way, thank you for helping me with this, I really do appreciate it

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012