named.conf duplicate entry issue

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jopa123, Mar 8, 2007.

1. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

Hey guys,

Total newb here. I set up my box according to the Fedora Core 4 Perfect setup after a few wireless card issues everything was fine. Installed ISPConfig, things were still looking great.

I tried to setup my dns through ISPConfig per this tute:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy

After setting up the new master dns everything is ok. But once I set up the new slave, I get a duplicate error message. Actually the first few times, it allowed the entry but the dns service went offline. A restart of the service gave me an error like:

/etc/named.conf:40: zone : already exists previous definition: /etc/named.conf:34

Now, ISPConfig will not even allow the entry.

Is my issue the fact that I am trying to setup a website (and therefore a dns record) for the same url that is my name servers, i.e. ns1.example.com, ns2.example.com, and www.example.com?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.s It works just fine with one (master) name server. I get the Apache test page.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Delete the slave record. You can never have a nds slave and master record for the same domain on the same server.

It makes no sense to have a master and slave record on the same server as they would return identical results. If you want to have primary and secondary dns on one server you will just have to create one master record and no slave records.