Nameserver and ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Quaxth, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

[SOLVED] Nameserver and ISPConfig 3

I realized that the Nameservers in DNS Zone automatically set to the Domain used like
    Code:
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com
    Now I use the Nameservers of my Registra which differs from the one in ISPConfig 3, would it be OK so or wise to change the Nameservers in ISPConfig to the Registra Nameserver?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you use the nameserver of your registrar, then you do not add any data in the ispconfig dns module as your dns server is not authoritive for the domain.

3. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Would that mean that I should change the Nameserver at Registra to the Nameserver of my domains as used in ISPConfig?

Thanks.

4. till

No.Juts leve the settings as they are at your registrar and delet all dns records that you created in ispconfig. To run your own nameservers, you need2 servers on 2 different IP addresses.

5. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Just to be clear:
    I delete all Nameservers from DNS Zone?

Leave the other records as they are?

Thanks.

6. till

No, you delete the complete dns zones in ispconfig. The zones are not used when you use the nameservers of your domain registry. If you dont delete them while using the nameservers of your reqgitrsy might confuse apps installed locally on your server by providing them wrong dns records.

7. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Will that deletion have any effect to the now running send and receive e-mail?

Thanks

8. till

If you use the dns server of your provider, then the local dns srvers are not used anyway, so this has no affect on your mail setup.

9. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

OK, had change the server already with an full new installation of both Debian Wheezy and ISPConfig 3.

All domain are set on Registra Nameserver and not any DNS Zone inside of ISPConfig 3. SMTP (Send Mail) is set to the Relay of my ISP and that's working fine now. I tested with 5 different Domains from 3 Registra's and all went well till now.

To transfer the regular Domains to ISPConfig I'll have to that on Weekends, mainly at Sunday's, because of those 24h those domains maybe no visible on the Internet.

Thanks a lot to Till for his help to get everything up and running!

Regards.;):D