Nameserver both on the same machine?

Discussion in 'General' started by rdtech, May 31, 2008.

1. rdtech

rdtech New Member

PLEASE HELP! Heres my question. I have a dell 1750 server. It has 2 nic card built in. I'm currently only using 1.

I want to configure it for a nameserver.

There are usually 2 nameservers(primary and secondary). Instead of getting 2 computers, can I just have that one server using 2 nics on the same computer running both the primary and secondary nameserver?

They will have their own static IP address.

I haven't heard of anyone doing it this way. Just wanted to make sure it will work before I start configuring it.

Please advise.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That should work. In this case you'd have a master only that is listening on two public IP addresses but appears to the outside world as two separate servers.
    But it is possible that some registrars refuse to accept name servers if they appear to be from the same subnet.

3. rdtech

rdtech New Member

Okay, that makes sense. I'll try it to see if it works.

thanks for the help.

4. rdtech

rdtech New Member

One more quick question. In regards to the subnet mask, you mentioned that some registars refuse to accept servers from the same subnet mask. So that means that even though I have 2 seperate servers with different static IP, one may not be accepted because they are in the same subnet mask.

To get around it, I would have to get another service from my ISP with a different subnet mask.

Just curious. I'm sticking with my first setup to see if it works.

Thanks,

Paul

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, you'd need to get an IP from a different subnet.