Nameserver tutorials

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Zippy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Zippy

Zippy Member

Hello,

I am trying to run my own nameservers in ISPConfig3 and the tutorials are outdated - my layout is very different.

I have established hostnames with my outside IP address and have added names servers and DNS records to my ISPConfig3 panel, but my server is not found from the outside!!

Any guidance would be appreciated - I have read every tutorial and some are not in English and/or are outdated!

Thank you

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Take a look at the ispconfig manual, it contains detailed instructions on how to add a dns record in ispconfig by using the dns wizard. The manual is up to date and contains all required steps to add a dns zone.

A common mistake is that you did not add a-records for the ns records. e.g. when you setup a zone domain.tld and use ns1.domain.tld and ns2.domain.tld as ns records, then you have to add a-records for ns1.domain.tld and ns2.domain.tld as well. another common mistake is to miss to add a dot at the end of a fully qualified domain name. e.g.:

not ok;

ns1.domain.tld

ok:

ns1.domain.tld.

3. Zippy

Zippy Member

Thanks Till!

I will access the manual for more detailed instructions from my home PC. I use ISPConfig3 for non-profit purposes (for our site at a non-profit) and do not plan to sell or "host" other sites. Essentially it is a great way to set up a linux box and host your own site.

Having said that I will drift off-topic:

I am concerned that the development of ISPConfig3 will end in the future, which is why I subscribed and purchased the manual. It is great work and I hope it continues - should I be nervous about the future or does development continue?

Thanks!

4. till

Thank you for supporting us with your subscription. This helsp us to continue with the development.

There s no reason to be nervous, we develop ispconfig for more then ten years now and there are no plans to stop development. Like you can see on our git server, ISPConfig is actively developed: http://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3

5. Zippy

Zippy Member

Thanks - that is good to know! It is great work!!

I referenced my manual and there is good detail for DNS zones, but like many others I am confused regarding how the process works for directing queries to to the IP address of my server.

I had no issues with hosts other than GoDaddy, but GoDaddy is giving me fits.

I have established the zones in ISPConfig3 and added the glue records (host records " @ myIP" and my server is still not found.

This is another site I have established to "test" hosting my own DNS records and nameservers.

On my actual site I simple have my domain pointed at my external IP. I am not sure the ISPConfig3 domain records are affecting the routing at all - I jus think the glue record is pointing the URL to my server.

I will continue to study and try to learn the cascade of events that occur to use DNS to find a nameserver via an IP address...

Is there a way to graphically represent the process to me?

Thanks!

6. till

First, you should test if the zone on your server is working correctly. The following command has to be run on the shell of your server.

dig @localhost domain.tld

domain.tld has to be replaced eith your domsin name. You can also check your dns setup at intodns.com.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  7. Zippy

Zippy Member

Thank you for the link!! That is really helpful (intodns.com)

That will get me there!!

Thank you!