Nameserver with only one IP

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by meekish, Oct 31, 2007.

1. meekish

meekish New Member

I'm just getting started with DNS (I've used a CP to configure my nameservers).

I just signed up for a VPSLink server that only provides one IP address. However, the GoDaddy control panel requires a domain to have two nameservers.

I read "Traditional DNS Howto" to find out how to setup a master and slave nameserver. I'm just wondering, is is possible to set up a master and slave nameserver that both point to the same IP, as my VPS only provides one IP address?

2. volksman

volksman New Member

No...Most registrars would reject that...You can pad the second IP with a fake one (IE something that isn't going to respond to DNS calls).

However I would suggest you make a friend who will secondary your domain for you. I think there are free DNS hosts out there that will do it to....

3. meekish

meekish New Member

Hmmm... I do have a second server with multiple IP addresses running BIND9. That server has ISPConfig installed. Does BIND9 allow a server to resolve IP addresses for a different server?

If so, perhaps I could just run the primary and secondary nameservers from my second VPS?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

can't you just enter two nameservers pointing to the same IP? some provider allow that. e.g.

ns1.mydomain.com --> 83.83.83.83
    ns2.mydomain.com --> 83.83.83.83