Need an advice for a good Dutch ISP

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by Appie Thrasher, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Appie Thrasher

Appie Thrasher Member HowtoForge Supporter

(a question for the dutch users out there I guess)

Here I go,

I have my own server here at home and evything is working almost great. I have some problems with the email function but that is because my ISP blocks port 25.

Now I want to begin again from scratch and with an new ISP who doesn't blocks port 25.

I'm thinking about the XS4ALL ISP here in Holland. There its allowed to have your own server and they are not blocking the port 25 and give me a static IP.

Is it enough to have a ISP that doesnt block port 25 whit a static IP?
    Is this a good one? Or does anyone have a other suggestion?

TIA

2. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

XS4ALL does not block any port you will probably need. I have an ISPConfig testserver at home and i never had problems with blocked ports. XS4ALL is really good. The only thing i don't like is that - from time to time - it takes a long time to get in contact with the helpdesk. But if you get through, they help you very well.

After all, i am a satisfied client. :)
    Recommended.

3. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

I was with XS4all many years, and never had any problem with closed ports.
    Only problem is setting a revers DNS.
    If you can live with the revers DNS problem, and want to pay a bit more than a normal ISP, than go for XS4all.
    XS4all will do the job.. It did for me many years!

An other option is to move your server to a real data center.
    I've seen places where you can locate your server (1U) for around 30 euro per month. This is including power use (1amp), 6 IP's, revers DNS'ses and +/- 300GB of data per month, and up and download speeds that you will never get when having your server on a normal (x)DSL line.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  4. Appie Thrasher

I have had the same idea to. But I use my server only for my own site and for a couple of friends of my.
    But I go and take a look at it again. I would prefer this option but I haven't found one payable for me yet.

Anny suggestions?

5. Appie Thrasher

Its xs4all.

Iam awaiting the new connection, and they are giving away the asus eepc with it. Its a pitty its the winxp version. But hee its free.

Thanks for the help.