Need help regarding directory ownership of user uploaded scripts

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by icecub333, Dec 12, 2017.

1. icecub333

icecub333 New Member

Hello,
    I've just installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 with ISPConfig version 3.1. Everything is working as expected, but I'm having an issue with folder permissions.

When I check the ownership of the webdirectories, it returns me "web1 client1". However, if users upload their own scripts through FTP, they are owned by "www-data". This is causing issues with read/write permissions. Directories ment for file uploads for example, need to be chmodded 0777 because the dirs aren't owned by "web1 client1". This is a potential security risk that I'd like to fix. So could anyone please help me out?

Thanks a lot :)

2. icecub333

icecub333 New Member

After doing some more research, I misunderstood how groups and permissions work in Ubuntu. All I had to do was give the group the correct permissions instead. Problem solved. Thanks a lot :)

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Files uploaded by FTP on an ISPConfig server are never owned by www-data user or group, at least when you did not modify the ISPConfig sourcecode. The only possibility to get files with that user or group are when you upload them by PHP and use a wrong PHP mode. The PHP mde has to be php-fcgi or php-fpm and the suexec checkbox in the website must be enabled.