Need more space disk for Posfix

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by jimbo4215, Jul 5, 2020.

1. jimbo4215

jimbo4215 New Member

Hello,
    I added 1 year ago a hard disk and bind it into fstab option :
    /mnt/vmail/vmail /var/vmail none bind,nobootwait,_netdev 0 0

currently I need more space disk for 2 clients. Can I create a symlink only for 2 clients to a new hard disk ?

Regards...

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

the better option would be to mount a new (much) larger disk to another location on the server, and copy the existing contents of /var/vmail to that. once complete, rsync the existing /var/vmail to the new drive repeatedly until it finishes a sync quickly.
    then stop postfix and dovecot/courier, run another rsync, remove the /var/vmail bind mount, unmount both the old and the new disks, remount the new disk to /mnt/vmail/vmail, recreate the bind mount. restart postfix and dovecot/courier.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  3. jimbo4215

jimbo4215 New Member

yes I know but it should be temporally

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Mountpoint inside another mount does work, but is complicated. To make it work at boot you need to make mounts happen in the correct order.
    If you are prepared to mount them manually I guess you can do it temporarily. I would avoid complicated setups If I can.

5. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

plus, i'm sure there's many on here who have put something in place as a 'temporary fix' that becomes a lot more permanent than ever intended... :oops: