Need of other installation

Discussion in 'General' started by SoulGod, Jun 1, 2010.

1. SoulGod

SoulGod New Member

I am a total noob at both Linux & ISPConfig , so this question might be dumb.

I had some troubles installing PhpMyAdmin, MySQL & Apache,
    but finally I got it to work ..

The SMTP / POP3 I did NOT get to work though...

And .. to my question ..
    Is ISPConfig a "layer" on top of these working programs that I just wrote,
    or when I install ISPConfig , will that install the mailserver & other stuff needed?

2. Torch_za

Torch_za New Member

Check this out ... pick a distribution and follow the instructions ... everything gets loaded instyalled and configured. And they work...
    http://www.ispconfig.org/ispconfig-3/documentation

3. zambooot

zambooot New Member

Does it mean, that Ispconfig is separate from services like Apache, Postfix, Mysql, Pureftpd and Bind?
    Can I can turn off each/some of these services without causing Ispconfig to fail?
    If I uninstall Ispconfig, what gets uninstalled and deleted (physically,which directories)?

Thank you for your help.

4. Toucan

Toucan Member

ISPConfig is a control panel. It controls these other services such as apache2, postfix etc.

The idea is, once installed you won't need to adjust any of the other services manually. The control panel does the lot through a friendly interface.

You can potentially install it on top of your previously installed services but as mentioned in the previous post, there are very good guides to installing the right services in the right order prior to ISPConfig as the final installation.

If you then uninstall it?
    I think (and don't quote me) the individual services will work fine.