Need some help but don't know what exactly

Discussion in 'General' started by Appie Thrasher, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Appie Thrasher

Appie Thrasher Member HowtoForge Supporter

Okee here is my problem..

I have my server setup, and thats working fine. I have an acount at dyndns for my changing ip adress ( it stays almost the same). My router (asus) has the ability to update my changed ip adress automaticaly.

So far no problem.

The server has at this time 4 sites on it but every time my ip changes (not very often gladly) I lose 3 of my sites they are pointing to the wrong ip's of course.

First question can I put those 3 sites on my own dns server in the ispconfig program?

So that if my ip is changed, my router thus my server are getting there new ip adress automaticly. Than allso the ip adress of the dnsserver (its my sever) will change automaticly, and therefore my other sites will stay online.

I know I am getting way over my head here with the nameserver thing and mabey I see things the wrong way.

I have searched the forums already and know sofar
    -I must open port 53
    -I need 2 dns servers ( can it be done by one? in the beginning)
    -for safety reasens I must put recursion.no into named .conf.master

Or must I use a little program like ddclient? and take more acounts at dyndns

Many questins I know so TIA for reading the whole story.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Generally yes, but ist not a good idea to do this on a account with dynamic DNS. You will have to change the IP addresses in your dns server every time your dynamic IP changes.

3. Appie Thrasher

Appie Thrasher Member HowtoForge Supporter

I do understand that if my ip is chanced the other ip´s must chance to.

I thought and probaly thought wrong that if I put my server on the paid dns acount witch is updated by my router. That my name server also wouldt change the ip´s and every thing would work again

4. mlz

mlz Member

The other option is to CNAME them to the domain that gets updated automagically, not sure how this would affect ISPConfig, but should be do-able.