need to install raid 1, on linux, which controller do u suggest?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by lyndros, Jun 2, 2006.

1. lyndros

lyndros New Member

hi all, i am ubuntu user, and i want to install a hardware raid not software raid, because my motherboard has 8237 from via, and i've read that is a mess is not a real hardware raid...

so im planning to buy a new but i want a cheap & affordable solution for sata II disks to install raid 1, does anyone knows any good hardware raid controller.

i took a look at adaptec, and i saw 1420SA, but some people is telling me that it's not a "total hardware raid controller" and some have problems on linux.

can anybody help me ?

thks in advanced :D

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

A long time ago I asked the same question (not here)

They all told me to get a 3ware raid card, and till now I'm loving it :)
    I love the web interface with all the extra alarm options..

This is the one I got: http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata8000.asp

3. lyndros

lyndros New Member

thks but is a total raid hardware, no drivers, everything with the bios and the linux recognize the raid as one disk ?

thks in advanced

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Most 3ware raid controllers where automatically recognized from modern linux kernels.

5. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Yep.

I needed to set some things in the BIOS to enable the card, and all was done. Debian installed on it with no problem, and no needed extra drivers.

After that you can (if you want) install the 3Ware 3DM2 program to access the RAID info through a webpage.

6. 3cwired_com

3cwired_com New Member

I have been using 3ware raid cards on fedora at first and then centos, and I will never look back, i bought a couple as a matter of fact. Real hardware raid, installs with little to no config necessary and has convenient web access which emails info, warnings, and errors. can't go wrong here. They are conveniently priced too, especially for the service they provide!:)