Need to move my Multiserver setup of about 25 servers over to a new datacenter and have questions.

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by webguyz, May 17, 2023.

1. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi guys, I have to move my entire operation to another datacenter which will require renumbering IP's and was wondering if anyone has gone thru this and could shed some light. Seems like a daunting task to do this without incuring a ton of downtime which I am trying to avoid. Ispconfig uses MySQL to do updates and the IP's have got to be correct from each slave. Most of my servers are private VPS's but have mail servers (with Letsencrypt certs) which will probably be most critical.

Any guidance would be really appreciated. Thanks!

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

- Set up a VM with haproxy to the new IP
    - Move the ISPConfig VM to the new bare metal in the new DC with new IP (depending on the virtualization software you use this can be done seamlessly/without much downtime)
    - Assign the old IP to the haproxy VM
    (repeat as much as necessary)

of course you will have to update /etc/hosts, other than that your setup should be able to stay online and work with ISPConfig. In the long run you need to update configs and DNS records to point to the new IP's, but you get all the time to do that.

3. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks for that. I have not worked with HAPROXY but will check it out. I assume ISPConfig master can manage servers in different locations. Do I make changes for individual slaves in the Master GUI as well as the slaves? Will have to think about that for a while.

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, the master can manage servers in other locations.