Network Speedtester for linux?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Primrose, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Primrose

Primrose New Member

I've been looking for a speedtest platform for centos around the web without much success unless I want to spend $900-$2000.
    I run a small voip company network that host a few friends etc. Some people have crapy internet connection to my server in town. The best way to test it is to have them either ping or do a route trace. Well some of these people are not computer savvy.

What I'm looking for is something that I can install on my centos server so that people can go to a website on it and get their speed/jitter/packet loss etc.

Any suggestions? :confused:

2. id10t

id10t Member

Speed tests basically get a time stamp, send a pre-determined amount of data (pre-compressed is recommended - garbage zip or mp3 file - since servers and browsers can do some compressing), get a second time stamp. Then simple math - X amount of data sent in Y amount of time.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X New Member

Well +1 to id10t's reply.
    It all can be done easily, by sending some kind of Data File to the user from your server and then, the server can calculate the time & speed. You can graph it on your site by using the right programming language (php.. not sure though)