new added dns records are not right

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by adam76, Jan 9, 2006.

1. adam76

adam76 New Member

hi, i just started to work with ispconfig and i am amazed about the product. but :) yeah ofcourse there it comes. i have problems with my DNS records. when i add a domain with a DNS server hosting the records miss alot of stuff. Like a proper MX record and Localhost record what is needed for NL registration. i can add it all manually but is there a way how i can add a form or template where i can set my own settings according my own will ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you used the DNS-Manager or only checked the "Create DNS" Checkbox when creating a website?

3. adam76

adam76 New Member

create DNS and create MX i have checked. no dns manager

4. till

For these "simple" functions you can set some preferences in Administration > Server > Settings

If the functions there where not advanced enough, i recommend to fine tune the DNS records in the DNS manager.

5. adam76

adam76 New Member

but what i was thinking about is perhaps there is a way to adjust the way how the dns records is been created in the form manager. but i cant find a good documentation on how to use this one with what variables. if i need to fine tune the dns records when i add alot of domains is alot of time. i was think perhaps i could adjust the script a bit to meet my needs.

6. till

You cant modify this directly in the form manager. You will have to change the "action" script that is executed when the website is saved. If remeber correctly, the name of the file is:

/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/classes/ispconfig_isp_web.lib.php

7. adam76

adam76 New Member

ok thanks for the quick support. i am going to give it a look and keep posted here. perhaps i post the new ( nic.nl certfied ;) domain records ) script.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The script that's actually writing the zone files is /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_bind.lib.php. You might want to have a look into it as well.

9. timehost

timehost New Member

I have the same problem, and I think there is a bug here $domain = trim($server["server_domain"]);

////////////////////////////////////////
    // MX Record anlegen

$domain = trim($server["server_domain"]);
    $host = $go_api->db->queryOneRecord("SELECT web_host FROM isp_isp_web WHERE doc_id = $doc_id");
    $host = trim($host['web_host']);
    if(!empty($domain)) {
    //$ip_adresse = $domain["domain_ip"];
    $sql = "INSERT INTO dns_mx (host,prioritaet,mailserver) VALUES ('$host','10','$domain')";

We want the MX record to be set up as mail.customerdomain.tld, not mail.serverdomain.com

for example we are in a hosting company called timehost.net, the server is called zeus.timehost.net. If a reseller creates a new site, the MX record should point to mail.customerdomain.tld. Currently there is a erroneus default entry as timehost.net only.

10. till

I think thats not a bug. What you want is another kind of configuration then the one that ISPConfig has for default.

If you want MX records to point always to the customer domain, you can use it like this:

// MX Record anlegen

$host = $go_api->db->queryOneRecord("SELECT web_host FROM isp_isp_web WHERE doc_id = $doc_id");
    $host = trim($host['web_host']);
    $domain = "mail.".trim($host["web_domain"]);
    if(!empty($domain)) {
    //$ip_adresse = $domain["domain_ip"];
    $sql = "INSERT INTO dns_mx (host,prioritaet,mailserver) VALUES ('$host','10','$domain')";

11. adam76

adam76 New Member

and then also there is one q from my side. how to add the mail.domainname.top than ? that that one also points to the host ??

12. falko

Go to the DNS Manager and create mail.domainname.top and use the host's IP address as IP address.

13. adam76

adam76 New Member

still i am confused what am i doing wrong

this is the dns record
    what says at the row MX this :
    but i dont want to do mail routing for www. i want to do it for the domain itself. so users can email at [email protected] and not in this setup [email protected] that isnt soo clean and customers dont like that :p

14. falko

Then create an MX record for bsf.nl. Go to the bsf.nl zone in the DNS Manager, then to the "Records" tab, then click on "MX new". Then leave the "Hostname" field empty, choose a priority, and put servitall.net into the "Mailserver" field.

15. adam76

adam76 New Member

ill do it nowfor every domain manually. but can i post this issue as future request ??

16. till

Sure, you can post it to the feature requests.