New install Jessie - Issue with Quota

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ChuckSC, Oct 3, 2015.

1. ChuckSC

ChuckSC New Member

Hello everyone,

I have been happily using ISPConfig for a few years on Debian 7 and I am now working on transitioning to Debian 8. I am reinstalling from scratch for a "fresh start" based on the following documentation:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...ot-ispconfig-3/2/#-install-pureftpd-and-quota

My VPS: Debian 8 64 bits (HVM)
    Linux version 3.12.46-guest-39-a97a54c-x86_64 (package@jessie64) (gcc version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10) ) #4 SMP Mon Aug 10 11:59:25 UTC 2015

I am having some trouble when reaching step "14 Install PureFTPd And Quota" with quotacheck:
    Code:
    root@srv:~# nano /etc/fstab
    root@srv:~# mount -o remount /
    root@srv:~# quotacheck -avugm
    quotacheck: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: No such file or directory
    quotacheck: Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.
    root@srv:~# quotaon -avug
    quotaon: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: No such file or directory
    root@srv:~# cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/xvda1    /                 ext3    rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0  0    1
    devpts        /dev/pts          devpts  defaults      0 0
    none          /proc             proc    rw,nosuid,noexec  0    0
    I am not sure what the issue is here, maybe it's linked to the way the disks are mounted on the server?
    Even though it doesn't make much sense, I tried creating a symlink but it did not help as /dev/xvda1 is not missing as far as I can tell.
    I also rebooted the server and checked the version:
    • Quota utilities version 4.01.
    • Compiled with: USE_LDAP_MAIL_LOOKUP EXT2_DIRECT HOSTS_ACCESS RPC RPC_SETQUOTA BSD_BEHAVIOUR
    After checking the forums for similar issues and exhausting a couple of solutions, I am still unable to complete this step. I welcome any advice on this issue so I can finish my installation properly.

Thank you.

Curtis Droppelman likes this.
  2. mattheoh

mattheoh New Member

It's because you are on virtual machine I guess... see this screenshot
    [​IMG]

3. ChuckSC

ChuckSC New Member

Thank you, mattheoh. Sorry for the late answer, I finally had some time to continue with my install.

When I was in the process of following the install instructions, the file /etc/fstab was not empty. However, it did not look like the one presented in the documentation. I added ",usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0" but the rest was already there.

Since I continued the install despite the message, I can now clearly see the quotas are not working as expected:
    [​IMG]

Any advice on what I can do to troubleshoot this and possibly correct the problem? Thanks a lot!

Curtis Droppelman likes this.
  4. Curtis Droppelman

Curtis Droppelman New Member

I recently did a clean install with https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-debian-8-jessie-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3/ and this was the only issue I couldn't fix "out of the box" from their tutorial. However, the following steps worked for me:
    1.)
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/xvda /dev/root
    or
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/sda /dev/root
    depending upon on what type of virtualization you have
    2.) This step recreates the symbolic link on reboot
    Code:
    nano /etc/rc.local
    paste either of the two lines above exit 0 in /etc/rc.local:
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/xvda /dev/root
    /etc/init.d/quota restart
    or
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/sda /dev/root
    /etc/init.d/quota restart
    depending upon on what type of virtualization you have (tested working with linode.com jessie image)
    3.)
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    Quota and Quotacheck work successfully for Debian Jessie.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    borekon and till like this.
  5. borekon

borekon New Member

rc.local is being deprecated, so it is possible not to exist any longer.
    But you can create and set the executable bit to make it work.
    Tested on debian 9

6. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

post your fstab file to see if there's something wrong. And output of
    Code:
    $df  -h

7. borekon

borekon New Member

Note that the post you replied is from 2015

8. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

had this browser tab still open, forgot to hit submit back then - might have been meant to be for a different tab, who knows - has been a while