New Install - Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by batescr, Mar 26, 2008.

1. batescr

batescr New Member

I currently have IPSconfig installed and working but have some questions as to if I have things set up in the best way.

I have cable internet access to my home with 5 useable ips.

The cable internet access comes into a cable modem/router (i have no access to this router it is the cable companies). The router has 5 ethernet ports on it. I have one cable going from the modem/router to my Linksy box and then I have my internal home network (192.x.x.x) work just fine.

The ISPConfig server is actually on a Microsoft Virtual server with two nics. THe ISPConfig/CentOS server is assigned a nic that is plugged directly into the Cable modem to get one of the 5 usable ips. My question is do i need some sort of additional Firewall or is the firewall that ISPConfig has sufficient?

Additional Questions
    --On step two of CentOS 4.6 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig (a.k.a. The Perfect Server) if my current set up is correct i am assuming i need to apply my external IP vs. the way it is documented in the set up.

(# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    # that require network functionality will fail.
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.100 server1.example.com server1)

--On Step ten of CentOS 4.6 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig (a.k.a. The Perfect Server) i was unsure what to put on the follow postconfig step. Based on my question above... i didn't know what to put.

postconf -e 'mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8'

--One last one.. If i have ISPConfig installed and working properly. Is there any issues with following the set up for DKIM With dkim-milter to implement Postfix DKIM?

I think that is all for now.

I want to give kudos to all that contributed on the how to's this is a great forum to teach folks...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Normally the ISPConfig firewall is sufficient.

You can use the public or private IP address in this case (where your server is in a LAN).

This is correct. It means that only localhost can send without authentication. All other hosts must authenticate.

Haven't tried DKIM yet, but I *think* it should be no problem.