New IP - changing A records

Discussion in 'General' started by tristanlee85, Apr 29, 2007.

1. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

Under the DNS manager, there are a number of hostnames that I need to change the IP address for. Is there anyway to state that all hostnames use 1 IP address instead of having all of my different hostnames with declaring each one an individual IP?

Kind of hard to explain I think. For hostname, can I put something like @ instead of the actual hostname so all hostnames of a domain will use that single IP?

2. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

I guess hardly anything of mine has an A record anymore. This one looks all messed up.

Code:
    [tristan@tristan ~]$ dig forums.plastikracing.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> forums.plastikracing.net
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 40272
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;forums.plastikracing.net.      IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    plastikracing.net.      10413   IN      SOA     server.vasceria.com. tristan.plastikracing.net. 2007042906 28800 7200 604800 86400

;; Query time: 20 msec
    ;; SERVER: 65.24.7.3#53(65.24.7.3)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Apr 29 12:45:58 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 105

3. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

If I try to add an A record for the plastikracing.net domain under the DNS Manager, I type forums for the hostname and 24.97.42.77 for the IP and it gives me this error:
    Code:
     There is already an A Record entry for this host in this zone.
    There are no records listed for that domain under ISPconfig so I'm not sure what it means by a record existing. I checked the Recycle Bin and it's completely empty.

When I use "dig" on my websites, I get no answer section. What the heck? Why can't I do anything with my sites? I really need to get these things up and running as they are pretty important.

4. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

I guess my freaking out solved my problem. I just went into the ISPconfig database, the dns_a table and deleted the "existing" entries, went back to my sites and saved them and it added the records. Everything seems to be working now.