New ISPconfig 3

Discussion in 'General' started by LeoLinux, Apr 22, 2008.

1. LeoLinux

LeoLinux New Member

Hi Falko, Hi Till,

I've just read an pretty actual thread in the German HowtoForge forum about the new ISPconfig 3 tests.
    I just started wondering if you guys allready have planned a ca. date to release the first stable version of it .. - or just a guess ;)

It would also be cool to have a link where I can get some actual status inforamtion about it.

Thank you

Regards,

Leander

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no final release date planned yet, but I will release a first beta version today. If there were not too many bugs found, it will be released as stable version soon.

http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org/

and the germen and english Developer forums.

3. jbravo

jbravo Member

Wow, what a great message for today:)
    A new piece of fujitsu-siemens rx100 hardware is waiting for deploy web server so i think there is a chance that it would be ispconfig v3 instead of v2:)

Could we check v3 features and changes from v2 right now? Does Beta1 stage mean that all features has been implemented?

4. till

ISPConfig 3 is not derived from ISPConfig 2, it is a completely new software written from scratch, so there is no list of changes between these two software packages.

There are not all features implemented yet, but all major things are in place and some parts like the email module have already more features then the counterpart in ISPConfig 2. Mostly the management of databases is missing at the moment, but thats not much to implement and I will try to finish this for the next beta.

There will be some bugs in the software of course but we will not find them all if there are not more poeple testing the software. I will try to fix them shortly after they were reported in the (now open) developer forum or to the bugtracker (http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org).

An update of ISPConfig 3 from SVN takes about a minute and there is a script to make it even easier. So keeping your installation in sync with the latest bugfixes should be quite easy.

5. alibaba

alibaba New Member

Hi,
    Why do you continue working on 2.3 if you released a totally different third version soon ?

6. till

ISPConfig 3 is not a replacement for ISPConfig 2. We will continue to develop the ISPConfig 2 branch too.

ISPConfig 2 is fine for single servers which use Linux system users for email. E.g. if you rent a root server in a datacenter and want to run a few sites and mail accounts on it.

ISPConfig 3 is based on virtual email users and supports large scale installations with many Mail, Web, Database and DNS Servers managed from within one central control panel. These type of installation has often been requested by web hosting companys and the design of ISPConfig 2 was not ideal for this kind of setup.