New server build with SSD and HD

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mysterytoy, May 16, 2018.

1. mysterytoy

mysterytoy New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Good Afternoon,

I am building a new system that came with a 250GB SSD drive and a 1TB hard disk. Has anyone had trouble building a system with this combination? SSD is nice but I don't want to complicate things. I tested it out and CENTOS seemed to understand it and allocate the space nicely but I just let it do it for me. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Richard

2. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

if you want/need ssd, use ssd - if you need cheap bulk storage use hdd. raid? ... what are you interested in hearing about? It depends what you want to use it for?

3. mysterytoy

mysterytoy New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I bought a couple of machines to build some new servers. I've never used SSD with a Linux server before so I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't making a big mistake to set it up that way. The new machines came with a 250GB SSD and 1TB HD.

4. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

not much you can do wrong, recent debian stable works solid on ssd, just be aware that some disks exceed their TBW expectation numerous times while others just barely reach them.

5. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

i would use the ssd for websites and database. are you sure, that you want to run a production-server without any raid?