New server DNS questions

Discussion in 'General' started by stipeco, Oct 23, 2007.

1. stipeco

stipeco New Member

I followed the Perfect Fedora 7 setup tutorial and had a great experience once i decided to follow the ISPConfig installation instructions:D

I am also new to linux but have a great learning curve.

I own the domain "stipeco.com" and have it hosted with netfirms.

I want to host it myself.

My server name is ws1.stipeco.com

i created a client and site for stipeco.com
    ---------------------
    i created 2 A-Records

192.168.0.129 www
    192.168.0.129 ws1
    ---------------------
    mailserver

ws1.stipeco.com
    ---------------------
    hostname

stipeco.com
    ---------------------

i went to my hosting company and tried to change my name server to ws1.stipeco.com but it failed.

i tried to change the name server to my external ip and it failed.

!HELP!

What is the right step to take next?

Thanks,

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You will have to setup a glue record at netfirms if a subdomain of stipeco.com shall be the nameserver for stipeco.com.

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16303&highlight=glue+record

You might also have to get a second server as secondary dns server.

DNS is not that easy if you are new to server management. Maybe you should consider to leave the dns service as a hosted service at netfirms for the beginning.

3. stipeco

stipeco New Member

I read the section that discussed glue records before my original post but was not sure if that was going to apply to me or not. Thank you for your reply.

I created a-record for ws1 with my hosting company

i can reach the server:81 by name:)

i deleted that a-record with my host and i am again unable to reach it.

that definitely had an impact
    recreated a-record with host

by creating this a-record with my host am i in fact creating the glue record?

with it pointing to my server do i still need the a-records that reside on my local server i just set up?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It's possible, but I don't know how your hoster's control panel looks.

Yes.

5. stipeco

stipeco New Member

So I understand, if a domain (domain.com) is being hosted by a sub-domain (sub-domain.domain.com), the user gets caught in a loop?

And the only way to make it work is to: make the domain's nameserver point to someone outside your domain, who has a DNS server that has a record that lists your IP with your domain? :eek:

I had a backwards understanding of DNS. I thought the purpose was to broadcast your address rather than have points that give directions to your server. :cool:

---------------------------------------

I still need my local a-records unless I specify each of them with hosted Name Server?
    -Will it cause problems if i keep local and hosted a-records if they are identical?

I probably do need two servers if I want my domain's name server to be local, but, i would still need to have a hosted record for the local name server and a secondary domain name to handle it?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In general, your understanding of the DNS problem is correct. But you miss that a nameserver hosts normally hundreds or thousands of domains and only the first domain, the domain were the subdomain is the name of the nameserver itself, needs a glue record.