New to ISPConfig, external DNS management

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by crayz1, Sep 26, 2007.

1. crayz1

crayz1 New Member

Hello all!

I am certainly new to ISPconfig, but not an absolute noob to linux... :)

My question is: Can I manage the DNS external of the web server I am running ISPconfig on. I have primary and secondary DNS running on 2 linux machines and the web server and a third. All machines are on the same network. If yes, how would I go about doing so.

I have looked around the net and these forums for an answer, but have not found one yet. Hope this isn't an issue already well covered. :(

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use any external DNS server for a ISPConfig 2 server, but you can not manage these external DNS-Servers from within ISPConfig.

Management of external DNS servers will be possible with ISPConfig 3, which is currently available as alpha version.

3. crayz1

crayz1 New Member

So, to my understanding are you saying that I can manage my web server and secondary DNS from my primary DNS using ISPConfig?

4. till

Ispconfig 2.x: no
    ISPconfig 3.x: yes

But as I posted above, ISPConfig 3 is currently in alpha state and not ready for production use. It is expected to be released at the end of the year.

5. crayz1

crayz1 New Member

Thank you for making that clear.

Do you have a recommendation for external management of the DNS servers from the web server? Or should I go about this in a different way? I am lazy and would like to handle everything from 1 console. I am liking what ISPconfig has to offer and hope to take advantage of the exertnal DNS management option when it becomes available.

6. till

One option might be to let ISPConfig create the dns config files on the web server and then sync the bind configuration files to the two dns servers with rsync.

7. crayz1

crayz1 New Member

Currently I have Master/Slave DNS machines and an ISPConfig web server. If I maintain DNS records using ISPConfig, as in it would handle the DNS records as a Master, should I then have the DNS machines act as Slave/Slave?

EDIT: I should add that the Master/Slave DNS machines only run Bind9.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  8. crayz1

crayz1 New Member

I have looked into this further...

Can my ISPConfig web server allow transfers from my 2 DNS machines with rndc?
    Code:
    allow-transfer {DNS1; DNS2; };
    allow-notify {Web Server; };
    I want a simple relationship between the servers, I just don't want to open the DNS machines to security hazards.

9. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can modify the named.conf template in /root/ispconfig/isp/conf to your needs. :)

10. crayz1

crayz1 New Member

will changes from the console overwrite changes made in edit?

11. till

The template is used as basis for all dns records created or edited in ISPConfig.

12. crayz1

crayz1 New Member

Well, I have the Web Server currently running ISPConfig with two slave DNS machines. The primary zone is transferring correctly, but when I add additional domains the zones files are not transferred.

Any suggestions on moving all zones? or am I going to have to manually add additional domain zones to the slaves?

13. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer