New to Linux: Dual Boot, Virtual Machine, or Stand Alone?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by CaliT, Sep 21, 2020.

?

Linux Setup Preference

1. Dual Boot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Virtual Machine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stand Alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CaliT

CaliT New Member

Evening, I’m currently taking an online Linux class wanted to know what the overall preference was in regards to setting up a dual boot, running virtual machine, or running Linux on a stand-alone machine. For lite-moderate used is there any benefit to a stand along configuration?

Note: Primary machine would be configured to run windows 10.

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

depends almost completely on 2 things. intended usage, and personal preference.

if you going to be testing a couple of linux servers interacting with each other, then separate vm's would be used.
    if it's your main user environment and your not going to use windows 10 much, then dual boot, or install linux as the base os, and use a vm for windows.
    if you're going to use mostly windows, but need regular access to the linux environment, then use a vm, or WSL(2).
    if you're going to be using it like this, but want to use apache on it, and access apache hosted sites from the windows based browsers, then it's probably easier to use a vm.
    dual boot is only really needed if you only ever want to access one OS or the other at any time, or you want the OS to utilize the full power of the underlying hardware.
    personally, i use a windows laptop, and use linux vm's if i want to test things locally in a multi-server network environment. and tend to use linux via WSL2 if i want to access linux servers remotely, rather than using putty, or winscp.