New version of OpenVZ (7.0) has been released!

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ganewbie, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ganewbie

ganewbie Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all,
    Recently, New version of OpenVZ has been released!
    This new release focuses on merging OpenVZ and Virtuozzo source codebase, replacing our own hypervisor by KVM one.
    Did anybody used openVZ 7 with ISPconfig3 and tried quota and all feature?
    Hope it is still business as usual.
    Thanks,

Jacklune likes this.
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I fear that this is not the OpenVZ that we know. They dropped the existing OpenVZ and developed just a KVM wrapper, so I fear that you just get KVM with some openvz tools. But I have not tested it yet, just read their announcements and specs for the new version. And they dropped support for Debian and Ubuntu, you have to use CentOS now on the host system.

3. ganewbie

ganewbie Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks Till for the quick response, I agree with your comment,it looks like they have dropped it specially after Proxmox dropped them.
    Do you have any recommendations for Virtualization?
    My fear is the existing containers that we are running and what is for the future.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think Proxmox dropped OpenVZ because the OpenVZ project was not able to port their patches to recent kernels and therefore proxmox had to go to another virtualization software to support Debian 8, Ubuntu 16.04 etc.

No, I've not decided yet what to use as OpenVZ replacement on my servers. I'm neither a fan of KVM nor LXC as none of them has all the features of OpenVZ nor the simplicity in installation, but I guess one of these two will be used on my systems in future.

ganewbie likes this.